Chapter 58

Tessa

I couldn't hear what the nurse said to him. But I could see his face everything changed.

I feel the hurt that struck over him. And I see the pain.

"I have to go" he says to the nurse not even to me.

I stop him before he gets on the elevator. " Hardin. Stop! What happened?"? I say as I move in front of him stopping him from leaving.

I expect him to keep going but he doesn't he stops and he just leans into me and hugs me so tight.

When he finally pulls away I could see tears in his eyes.

"Let's go sit" I say.

He chooses to sit at the spot overlooking the city on the ground.

His knees are up and his head falls into his hands.

"She was supposed to go home." He says.

I quickly realize he's talking about Madi and put together that she has passed.

"I'm so sorry, Hardin." I reply as I pull his body into mine as I sit next to him.

I can't help but think a little selfishly in this moment and think that this is going to effect Hardin getting better. His first instinct is always to just leave and run away from everything. And I don't want him to do that.

We stay sitting for a while and we are both just silent.

He gets up finally and puts his hand out to help me up.

"What are you doing?" I ask

"Lets just go back to my room." He says.

When we get back to his room he plops on the bed with his shoes and suit still on and his cute beanie and he pats the spot on the bed next to him for me to lay with him.

I cuddled up into him and he turns into me and he pushes the hair out of my face and kisses me.

He keeps kissing me and pulls me so I am on top of him.

"Hardin, what if someone comes in?" I ask

"They won't... plus we are just kissing." He replies.

And we are. And I am enjoying every second of just being with him and close to him. And I know he's hurting and these next few days are going to be hard but right now he's okay.

After a while we end up just laying down and we cuddle until we both fall asleep.

I wasn't planning on staying here but I also didn't want to leave him either.

When I wake up it's about 6AM and Hardin isn't there.

My thoughts are immediately that he left.

When I peak out of the room. I see a nurse and she points to the courtyard.

I see Hardin and he's got his shirt off and he looks super sweaty....So he must have been out here for a while and he's shooting around.

He notices me and stops.

"Hey...sorry I didn't want to wake you." He says

"It's okay. Have you been out here a long time?" I ask

"I couldn't sleep." He replies.

I feel terrible for him. He really never gets close to anyone and I can tell he cared about Madi.

I don't want to leave him but I have to." I have to get going, I am going to move the stuff I have left at my old place into Landon's." I say.

"Okay." He replies as he kisses me goodbye and goes back to playing.

I know I need to give him time but I hope he doesn't start being cold towards me.

When I get to my car I realize I have 7 missed calls from my mom. She must know.

As I am deciding whether or not to call her back. She calls again. I reluctantly answer.

"Tessa I am waiting at yours and Easton's place, where are you?" She blurts our before I get the chance to answer her.

"Is Easton home I see his car?" My mom says again not giving me the opportunity to answer.

"What are you doing there, I am not even home?" I yell.

"You have been ignoring my calls and texts I was worried" my mom says. Which is true I have been avoiding her....

As I am on the phone I get a text from Easton. "Your mom is here. Figures you haven't told her yet."

"I'll be there in a minute just wait in your car." I yell again and hang up with my mom.

When I pull up my mom is standing outside of her car with her arms crossed and the pissiest look on her face.

"You didn't need to just show up!" I say as I get out.

"Well I'm glad to see your alive and well." She's says sarcastically.

I know I need to tell her....
"Easton and I aren't together." I blurt out.

I just kind of wanted to rip the bandaid and just get it over with.

"What do you mean you aren't together?" She asks.

"I mean...We aren't together I ended our engagement and I am moving out." I reply

"Well I'm sure you can fix things and he will take you back." My mom says

"No. I don't want that." I reply

"Again you are throwing your life away for someone who is just going to leave you....again." My mom yells.

And I guess that is fair. That's what he does he leaves. And I am terrified but I feel like he's worth the risk.

"I'm not doing this right now. I have to get my stuff and bring it to Landon's and then get back." I say.

"Get back to what?" She questions.

"I just have to go." I say and walk away.

Surprisingly she doesn't try to follow me.

When I get up to the apartment i notice right away all of my stuff is packed up in boxes at the front door.

He is sitting on the couch.

"You packed up my things?" I ask

"I knew you were coming to get it, I thought I would help you out." He replies.

"Oh okay." I reply kind of annoyed.

"I'll help you" he says as he grabs a box up off the floor.

"Alright...thanks." I say.

We don't say anything else as we are moving boxes up and down to my car.

On my last trip up I double check to make sure I have everything. I have the ring in my purse. I decide I don't want to say anything. I am just going to leave it on the table.

"So that's it, huh?" He asks.

"I'm sorry." I reply.

"I hope he makes you happy." He says.

Me too. I think to myself and I walk out.

This is all so fast. I feel like I have no idea what I am doing anymore. Or if it's the right thing. Or if I am making the biggest mistake of my life.

But I have to leave. I can't let anyone think I have doubts. Including myself.

It's going to be fine. He's going to be fine. We are going to be fine.

It has to be fine...right?