Chapter 71

Tessa

I really can't believe the conversation I am overhearing. We just dropped him off.

Vance hangs up the phone.

"What is going on?" I quickly ask.

"Well his rehab called and said the police picked him up because he beat another resident to a bloody pulp." Says Vance.

"What? Why?" I reply shocked.

What the hell Hardin. We literally just left you is all I can think.

"I can't do this anymore." Trish says as she starts crying and has to sit down.

"Trish, I know it's not what you want to hear but maybe he should stay where he's at for now." Says Vance.

"In jail?" She questions.

"Yes, he needs help and this way we at least know he's safe." Says Vance.

What could have happened from when we dropped him off until now that he would do that.

And maybe Vance is right maybe he should stay there.

"What about his treatment?" Trish asks.

"Well his next treatment is in a week. He should have a court date before then. He could stay there until his court date." Vance says

The idea of Hardin sitting in a jail for maybe a week is hard to swallow. Rehab was one thing, but this is jail.

"I think Christian is right" I say to Trish.

Even though I still have to convince myself that. And it's not because I am angry at him for what I just found out because I am but he needs things to not be on Hardins terms anymore. He does whatever he wants when he wants and this is the only way that is not possible.

"Do you think we would be able to see him?" Trish asks.

"I don't know if it's the best idea I am sure he will be very angry at us all for not getting him out." Replies Vance.

And he is definitely right. Hardin begged Vance on the phone to come get him. I have never seen Hardin ask for anything. He is usually able to just take and do what he wants.

The evening is spent on the phone with the police station and the rehab facility figuring out exactly what happened.

Apparently he knew the guy he was supposed to be roommates with and they had some bad history together and within seconds they were fighting.

So what he gets an assault charge dropped in America just to get another one here.

I quickly question what I am still doing here. This isn't a life for me. For this baby.

It's been a super long day and all I want to do is just pretend like my life is normal again.

I said I didn't have regrets. But I am regretting walking into that hotel room that night of Landon's wedding.

I am regretting walking away from a life that didn't include all of this.

Because let's face it everything with Hardin has always been a lot. But where has there been good since he came back? I think when he was in the hospital during his treatment I saw a glimpse of the good.