Chapter 56

Tessa

I still haven't gotten to a point where I am okay with starting any conflict with Hardin because I don't want to upset him.

I just want to focus on him getting better and not worry about him leaving or not.

"Any other unexpected visitors?" I ask.

"No?" He questions

"I was just asking."I reply.

I guess I was sort of wondering if Molly has tried coming here but I didn't want to ask that.

"I guess I had expected Ken to be here though, but he hasn't been." Hardin says.

"He hasn't come?" Landon never mentioned him not coming." I say.

Now that I am thinking about it Kim hasn't talked to me either. I have been scared to reach out to her or Vance even though I know I need to.

"I guess he finally got the ticket out he always wanted." Hardin says.

"Stop, I don't think it's like that at all." I reply.

"It is what it is." He replies.

The next thing I know in walks this man I have never seen.

"Scott....so I guess the rumors are true." Says the strange man.

"How did you know I was here." Hardin asks.

"Sorry I didn't introduce myself. The name is Kade I am his manager. Who he has been ignoring." Hardins manager says.

"Okay so why are you here?" Hardin asks.

"So when can we get you back to London, I am losing money I have rescheduled a lot of stuff and I have been lying to clients for you but there is only so much I can do." He says.

"Hi.....sorry to interrupt but I don't think he can just leave and go back to working..." Tessa jumps in.

"Sweetheart please mind your own business" he says.

"Don't talk to her like that and just don't fucking talk. You shouldn't be here Kade. I'll work on what I was contracted to do from here and I'll send it off to you. There was no reason for you to come here." Hardin says.

"There is when no one has heard from you in weeks." He replies.

"Okay I think we are done here." I say as I try scooting him out.

"I'll be back Hardin and I need a date on when you will be back." His manager says as he walks out.

"He seems awful." I say to Hardin.

"Yea he's a pain in the fucking ass." Hardin says.

"He can't really expect you to just leave and go to work." I say

"No that's exactly what he thinks." Hardin says.

I guess I don't get it. Especially after seeing Hardin no one should expect much of anything from
him right about now. Let alone to go back to his life of traveling and playing shows.

I mean I'm sure he can still do some writing and producing from here which is why I brought him his laptop. But the other stuff...I don't think so.

"Can I see what you are working on?" I ask.

"No." Hardin simply says.

Which I am taken back by. "No?" I question

"I don't let anyone see anything that isn't finished." He says.

"I didn't know I was just anyone...." I reply

"I...I didn't mean it like that. It's just not something I share." He says

I don't want to be but I'm annoyed with him. Again he is keeping parts of his life from me.

"I'm going to get going." I say

"Why are you mad?" He asks as he grabs my hand when I lean into him.

"I'm not" I say as I give him a kiss on the cheek goodbye.

"Alright, whatever" he says as he lets my hand go.

I decide I need to reach out and call Kim and I do as I am leaving the hospital and ask if I can stop by.

She agrees.

I feel bad not talking to her at all since everything. And as much as I need a friend right now I know she needs one just as bad.

When I get there I notice it is just her car in the driveway. I see the statue that Hardin broke that night still shattered all over the driveway.

I knock on the door and sweet Smith answers.

"Hi Tessa!" Says Smith excited.

"Hey you! How are you doing?" I ask

"I am good so you want to see my new video game?" He asks

" I would love to but can I talk to your mom for a little bit." I say

"Yes she's in the kitchen." Says Smith.

"Hi Tess." Kim says as she gives me
A hug when I walk into the kitchen.

"How are you?" I quickly ask

"I'm okay." She replies

"Is daddy coming home tonight?" Smith asks.

"Not tonight honey, why don't you play some of your game while Tessa and I talk." Kim says to Smith

"Is Christian not staying here?" I ask reluctantly.

She takes a big sigh. "No. He came home the night everything happened and we didn't really talk. But the next morning we did and it was just a lot I need some space." Kim says.

"Did he ever hint at Hardin being his son to you?" I ask

"Now that I know...things make more sense. I mean once Hardin was back in town Christian was obsessed with doing everything for him. He was the one making sure he went to all his treatments and forcing him to go to AA. And I am not mad that Hardin is his son I'm not. I'm mad how I found out. I'm mad that I let Trish into our home not knowing their history and that it wasn't exactly history." Kim explains.

"I'm sorry Kim." I reply

"You don't have to be sorry it will all work itself out how it's meant to. ...I haven't been to the hospital to see Hardin and I feel terrible about that. How is he?" She asks.

"He's okay I feel like right now he's really weak and tired, but I'm hoping he will start feeling better soon." I reply.

"I know we never got to talk about you and Easton that night...are you doing okay with all of that?" Kim asks.

"I feel like I haven't even had the time to think about it." I reply

Which is true...I haven't. I have been so consumed by everything Hardin that I haven't even processed that I ended my engagement. I haven't even told my mom yet.

Yes I am getting a new apartment...but I still have to actually move out. And it all just feels so final. And I know it's the right thing but it's still hard.

"Why didn't you tell me about Hardin being sick?" I ask.

"It wasn't my place to." Kim replies.