N I N E T E E N

(Repeat Broken Clocks By SZA)

Zhavia's Point Of View
Sunday
October 3, 2016

Ethan and I are jogging a few laps around the neighborhood. I wanted to run, track tryouts are tomorrow, but I also wanted to talk. "It felt like a declaration of war, like I don't know, we're competing?" This Julissa situation just feels weird to me. "Maybe it is, we all know you you love a good competition." We turn a corner about halfway from where we started.

"I do not!" I disagree while speeding up when he gets in front of me. "Oh really? We'll see about that when I make it to your house first!" He shouts before speeding up. "Hey, not fair. Cheater!" I yell from right behind him speeding up, it takes a minute but I make it to my house first. "Hell yeah, you've been beat!" I catch my breath laughing. "Damn you're fast, okay note to self, never compete with you ever. That almost killed me, how the hell do you run so fast for so long?" His breathing is so heavy I almost giggle while drinking my water.

"Practice baby, hopefully I'll be the best in all three categories this year." I'm beyond ready for track season. "All three?" Of course he knows nothing about track. "Short, middle, and long distance. If I'm the best in all three, the coaches will be beyond impressed. I'll be their MVP." I say proudly. "Oh for sure, who could beat the amazing, Zhavia Fields."

"Julissa, she was really good. If she's trying out this year I need to be on top of my game. I should have asked her to practice with me instead of you." He looks at me playfully rolling his eyes. "Yes, but you can't talk to her about your little crush with her, like you can with me." He teases making me roll my eyes. "I don't have a crush. What I had was hope, that he wasn't a total dick but he is." I shrug finally catching my breath.

"Whatever you say."
"Why are you trying to push me towards him anyway? I thought you 'liked me'?" I ask cockily, smirking. "True, but the thing is I don't plan on sharing your attention with my brother. I think you need to.. get him out of your system." Get him out of my system?

"Your master plan is to have me get with your brother, and then get with you? I know you aren't very smart but..."
"What I want is for whats going to happen, to happen. Let it play out, have him screw up, because he's him and I know he will, then have you come running into my arms. I'm playing for the long run here." He says making me smirk.

"And what if I don't want to get him out of my system? What if, I just want to fast forward to the running in your arms?" My arms find their way around his neck, he just rolls his eyes knowing exactly what I'm doing. "Cute, but I'd never get with you until I'm sure, that you don't want my brother."

"Bold of you to assume I want to get with you, or your brother."
"It's just a matter of time until you drop this 'I will never date you' act. You know deep down in your cold heart-"
"Cold?!"
"You care about me Fields." He says smiling making me playfully roll my eyes.

"The sun is setting, you should really get going." The street lights come on and that's when I know we've been out here too long. It's was mid day when we started. "You're right, night." He starts walking backwards still facing me. "What?!" I ask wondering why he's still facing me.

"You didn't say it back!" He shouts, I shake my head to myself. He finally turns around, I start towards my door, but I stop before going in. "Goodnight!" I don't even know if he can hear me, that is until I see him hold up a thumbs up.

"You ladies did great today, some better than others." Coach says looking over and winking at me. I smile as a thank you, I love coach Winburly, she's always pushing me to do my best. "Suck up." Dimond whispers from behind me as we sit on the bleachers. I don't even say anything, ignore it and you give it no power.

"That's all for today guys, remember you guys have to come all four days for tryouts, Friday we will have the names of who made it." Coach says before walking away from the bleachers.

"We all know why coach shows you favoritism, she feels sorry for you. Who wouldn't." Diamond say making me scoff, before I can say something someone else does. "God you're a bitch, you've been talking about Zhavia all practice. Who is that bitch?" Julissa asks me looking Diamond up and down. "This is jealousy, but in human form, I make her feel insecure about herself so she likes to watch my every move." I joke eyeing Diamond.

"Wait you do this all the time? What are you some kind of creep?" Julissa asks.
"I'm sorry, Julissa is it? I'm sure you don't want to go, what are you, five feet tall? I promise you don't want trouble, push comes to shove, I've got height on you." She threatens looking Julissa up and down. "Was that a threat? Cause if so I've got a promise for you-" I say stepping closer but Julissa intervenes.

"You might have height on me... and weight. But what you won't do is disrespect me, or my friend in front of my face like that. So try it again and you will get hurt, and that is a promise." Julissa pushes Diamond, something I've wanted to do since day one. "Bitch." She responds about to put her hands on Julissa.

"Bitch?" Julissa asks, I step in front of her so Diamond can't touch her. "Back down Diamond, I've been wanting to knock you on your ass for a minute now. Don't be stupid enough to give me a reason to." I look her up and down and she just scoffs before walking off. I turn to Julissa about to speak, but she beats me to it. "That gringa has been treating you like that and you let her?" She asks confused.

"Trust me, I wanted to take her out. I just took your advice, the same advice you gave me for Cam when we were kids. 'We don't solve problems with our fists'." She scoffs laughing. "I was eleven, I was naive, sometimes when people nuck, you have to buck Z." She says making me giggle.

"What happened to sweet problem solver Jay?" She laughs shrugging. "What can I say, I'm not fourteen anymore." She really is different, I'm still trying to figure out in which ways she's different, if it's good or bad. "So question, have you and Ethan ever..." I look at her confused as to what she's implying , she widens her eyes and I get it.

"Oh, oh you mean!? God no!" Has she lost her mind, she puts her hands up in defense. "I was just asking jeez, you two seem to have chemistry, literally and physically. I just wanted to know if you would mind." She shrugs, I wait for her to finish. "I know he's always had a thing for me, I wanted to see if I could use that to get Grayson's attention."

"You whore!" I laugh, she playfully rolls her eyes. "What better way to get him back than make him see what he's missing out on? That and it's honestly a win win, he's hot." She says confusing me. "Ethan or Grayson?" I ask.

"Yes."