F O R T Y - S E V E N

(Repeat On Your Own By Jorja Smith)

Zhavia's Point Of View
Friday
October 31, 2016

"What the hell is taking you so long? You've had three hours to get ready the party starts at ten and it's already nine fifty." Cameron asks through her closed bathroom door, I've been in her bathroom since we got to her house. She pressured me into agreeing to go, but I have to press out my hair for my costume.

Pressing my hair takes two hours at the least. That isn't counting washing, conditioning, and detangling it. I rarely press my hair out. The last time I pressed out my hair was in middle school "Do you know how long it takes to detangle my hair alone? Relax I'm almost done." I'm on the last part, this would have gone a little faster if I had my hot comb.

"I guess we can be a little late, Julissa texted, she's been ready for an hour." Just like that she reminds me, Julissa and I have barely said two words to one another in the past week. I'm not gonna lie, yes, I'm a bit upset with her. She's obsessed with a relationship that died in the eighth grade. Call me insensitive, but I call it rational.

I should be excited that she's here again after all this time. Not defending my relationship to her. "Let me guess, she's riding with us?" I grab the last piece of hair spraying a little heat protection on it before straightening it. "Who else would she ride with? You know you two can't ignore each other forever. Grayson is not worth all this trouble." I scoff at her statement, this is about Julissa not respecting me and Grayson.

I comb through my straight hair, parting it, and examining my look in the mirror. Can't say I hate it...

"This is about principal, this is about respect. She needs to let him go, anyways I'm tired of repeating myself. I will talk to her, later tonight. Tonight is just full of things I don't want to do." I open the bathroom door revealing myself to see Cam standing in front of the door. She looks shocked at first before immediately smiling.

"You can act like you don't want to go all you want, but you look amazing and I know you know you look amazing. You can't tell me you don't want to show this look off." She might be a little right. My costume is the lovely Aaliyah, what can I say? I love the 90's.

Cam went with Amy Winehouse and Julissa is supposed to be Selena if I'm not wrong. "Only because I'll clearly outshine you, I can't pass up the opportunity to show you up." I joke, I head over to her full body mirror in the corner checking out the full look. "Whatever, go see if Ethan and Grayson are ready to go. I'm about to call Julissa." She pulls out her phone.

"On it." I go to Grayson's room door first. I twist the nob and see him dressed as a boxer, a very hot one might I add.. "Wow... maybe agreeing to go won't be all for nothing." I speak up admiring his costume making him notice me in the doorway. He turns away from his mirror, smiling when he sees that I'm ready.

"Damn... forget my costume you really went all in.. your hair- you never-"

"Straighten it?" I cut him off, he just nods staring at me. That better mean it looks good..

"It took hours, there is a reason I never do it... do you not like it?" The way he's looking at me is so confusing I can't tell if he likes it or not.

"Me? Not like something on you? I rarely use the word impossible but I think it might be impossible for something to look bad on you. Curly or straight you still make my jaw drop." I feel my heart flutter when he complements me.