T W E N T Y - O N E

(Repeat Carried Away By H.E.R.)

Zhavia's Point Of View
Monday
October 4, 2016

Cam parks her car and all of us get out, but I want to wait around to talk to Ethan. He probably won't tell Cam but I need to be sure that he won't. I know I'm just making more trouble for myself. Cam and Grayson walk inside leaving me and Ethan alone.

He notices were alone and starts towards the the too, damnit. "Hey E, wait up. You're not going to tell Cam are you?" He just shrugs, that's not a no... "What's there to tell?"

"He- we- look I'm already embarrassed and ashamed, are you seriously going to make me say it out loud?" He shakes his head and I see him start to smile. "No, I won't tell Cam that you kissed Grayson, again."

"Are you pissed at me...?" He shakes his head, no. Thank god. "Nah, I'm not pissed." Ive got to say, I expect a little more than that from him, I give him a confused look. "What?" He asks.

"That's all? No snarky comment?" I search his face, looking for a clue on what's going on here. "I told you Z, I'm playing for the long run. Kiss him again if you need to, whatever." He says smiling. "You're not actually serious about this... are you?" I genuinely thought he was just joking. "Maybe, maybe not. I'll catch you later. Good luck with try outs, not that you really need it." He laughs making me smile, he walks off and I spin around before walking towards my house.

Maybe the whole Grayson thing is just a matter of getting him out of my system. Maybe Ethan's right, not about the running to him, but about getting the tension out of the way. I mean let's be honest, there's definitely sexual tension. Maybe that's all it is.

___

"You okay with Julissa and her dad coming over?" My dad asks from the couch while I grab a bag of Doritos from the pantry. Why does he even feel the need to ask? "Of course not. In fact I was going to ask her to help me practice hurdles for tomorrow-"

"Z, you just went for a run, after running at tryouts, and you have to do it again tomorrow. Give your body a rest you're going to make the team." He laughs, he's always calling me out for 'over working' myself. "All I want to do is practice, you know, I could be out partying." I say seriously, he's being ungrateful. "On a Monday night? Bitch please." He says making me laugh even though I don't want to.

"Dad! Did you just call me a 'B' word?" I ask offended he just puts his hand out as if he's saying 'talk to the hand' I swear he's worse than me. "My guy, you are forty, act like it."

"Forty and fly." I roll my eyes, I just take my Doritos and go back upstairs, it's about seven meaning I have all night to finish my homework. What I need to do is start cleaning up my room since Julissa is coming over. By the time I am done cleaning there's a knock at my door.

"Come in!" I shout from my bathroom pulling my hair up. "Wow, love the room makeover." Julissa looks around while I come out the bathroom. "Yeah, I miss it, but the poca-dotted walls had to go." I joke, they were terrible. I changed my whole room up the summer of ninth grade. "Aw, they were so cute though." She jokes walking over to my couch and sitting down.

"So I'm guessing our dads are back to being 'besties'." She says, I hop on my bed pulling out my phone. "Yeah I said that same thing, just wait till they start with the weekend pool parties/barbecues again." Oh how I miss those... "Right! They had way too much fun with those. The barbecue wasn't even good, and Sean's steak were raw!" She says making me laugh. "Oh my god yes and he would defend it saying 'This is how real men eat their steak, it's not bloody-"

"It's juicy!" We both laugh at the same time, our dads all together? Unstoppable. "God I hate those pool parties, after you and your dad left they replaced your dad with Ethan and Grayson on the grill. I'm jealous that you didn't have to be here for it." They don't even know how to use a grill everything came out 'extra crispy'.

"Okay but that's definitely one thing you can't say you hated, Ethan and Grayson shirtless and wet." She's not entirely wrong, the last time we had one was in August. They do look good... shirtless and-

"You know what? Maybe a pool party wouldn't be too bad. Yeah, I mean the weather is still kind of warm. We should do it." She say before she shrugs, did she not hear the part about the awful barbecue? "And have to endure the bloody steak and over cooked chicken?" I ask disgusted. "I mean it wouldn't be too bad, we haven't all been in one place since I got back. It would sort of feel like old times." I guess it wouldn't be such a bad idea...

"You're right, my dad is going to love this. Let's just hope he doesn't bring his lady friend." It's not that I don't like her, it's just that she's kind of a suck up. "He's dating?" She asks shocked.

"Yeah... like it's nothing personal, I have no real reason to not like her. I just don't, it's like-"

"He's trying time replace your mom? Yeah I know how that goes..." She sighs, I know this is a touchy topic for her. It is for me too. "Yeah I guess. Actually how's that going for you? Is your dad-"

"Still with the whore?"
"Well I wasn't going to say it like that-"
"She broke off the engagement a week into me being in that place. She told him she couldn't handle his... baggage." I never liked her dad's girlfriend anyways, it was like she wanted to act like Julissa didn't exist. "She called you baggage?" I ask shocked.

"Yeah, like bitch I was here first. None of that stuff would have even happened if she had never shown up. Two almost three years of my life wasted, but it's fine because I am never going back there." We all still don't even know exactly what happened that day, we all just assume based on what we saw. The only one who got to go to the hospital was Grayson, and he had to go behind his parents back.

"What exactly happened, no one would tell us anything. We all just assumed you-"
"I didn't try to kill myself. I mean don't get me wrong, I thought about it. I just, maybe another time. It's a lot to get into."

"I understand."