12/26/21 The Living Fossil

I was working at an aquarium as a tech person for changing mood lights during shows. There was a single large tank in an open area where people could sit around and watch. The buttons for the lights were conspicuously on either side of the tank and I would swim through the air like a mermaid to manage them. As the show started, I dimmed the lights and spotlighted the speaker. He introduced a fish that was once thought extinct, but now inhabits this very tank - the Living Fossil, the Coelacanth.
I changed the lights from sandy yellow to a mysterious blue as the grouper-sized fish emerged from behind a log in the tank and swam in a slow circle for all to see. The show went on for a few minutes until the Coelacanth swam back into hiding and the speaker finished his speech. As the people left, I gawked at the mighty fish's tank saying that those people may never know how lucky they are to have witnessed a creature that returned to existence only recently. Even though I worked with the Coelacanth, I was probably more in awe over it than the visitors.
Unfortunately however there are no aquariums in real life that house the Living Fossil. But perhaps it is better that way.