Chapter 2 : Dream

Author's POV ...

"No. I want everything to stop," the girl said.

"What you want to do is misguided, Cassie. The world needs you," said the middle-aged woman in a coordinated white blazer and skirt. Her face was blurry.

"What did you say? The world? Does the world need me or does WICKED need me?" the girl said, pointing towards the monitors in front of her.

"No. I will put an end to all of this. Do you see? More and more people are becoming victims. Are you willing to sacrifice millions for the sake of preserving 1% of immune humans? I'm done with WICKED. I'm done," the girl said as she let go of the control monitor she had been holding.

"Well, we don't have any other choice. I'm sorry, Cassie," the woman said as she stepped forward.

"Do it, Johnson," she said, addressing a man she referred to as Johnson.

"Relax, Cassie. WICKED is good," Johnson said beside her ear.

Before the girl could say a word, she collapsed as the man injected a tranquilizer into her neck...

"Greenie, hey. You good?" someone asked her. Cassie startled when she saw four men sitting at the edge of the bed and on the table next to her.

"Don't touch me!" she exclaimed in panic, quickly pulling herself back and sitting away from the two men at the end of the bed.

"It's okay. You're safe with us," said the blonde-haired man they called Newt.

"Where am I?" Cassie asked, surprised to hear her own voice, which had almost disappeared. She looked around, feeling deeply connected to nature.

"There's no better place than here," came the words from the dark-skinned boy. "Just calm yourself, Greenie. Take a breath in and let it out. Like Newt said, you're safe with us."

"Which Keeper is she going to get?" a tall blonde man asked, smiling faintly from the table he was sitting on.

"Like I said, Gally, we'll discuss that with the other Keepers once everyone is gathered," the dark-skinned man replied to Gally.

"By the way, I'm Alby. I'm the leader of the Gladers," he said, extending his hand to Cassie.

Cassie hesitantly shook his hand, quickly letting go after just a second.

"Before we go any further, what's your name, Greenie? You seem quite confused," said a dark-haired man.

"No need to push, Winston. She's still in shock. It's better if we ju-" Gally's words were cut off as Cessie quickly answered their question.

"Cassandra. Call me Cessie," she said, looking down and staring at her own hands. The four men fell silent instantly. The atmosphere was tense, and...

"Welcome to the Glade, Cessie," Newt said, leaning his face towards Cessie and then pulling away after finishing his sentence.

Cessie looked at them, confused. They laughed, except for Gally.

"Listen. Is that all you can ask her, huh?" Gally said to them, standing up from the table he was sitting on.

"Do you not suspect anything? Why would the creators send a girl to the Glade? Are they trying to make things harder for us? Or is there some other purpose to all of this?" he exclaimed, pointing at Cessie every time he said 'HER' in the conversation.

"Does it really matter?" Winston replied.

"Not really," Alby muttered quietly.

"Creator?" Cessie asked in a hoarse voice.

"Greenie, do you remember anything?" Newt asked her.

"Wicked is good," a voice echoed in her head. The dream she had just felt so real.

"I... I don't..." she stammered, her words cut off.

"Oh come on, not a single thing you can remember? What does the note written on your palm mean?" Gally said, lifting his hand and opening his palm to reveal the words written in temporary marker, 'SHE'S THE BEGINNING'.

Gally let go of his hand and sat back down at the table.

"Why can't I remember anything?" Cessie said hoarsely, looking at Alby.

"Don't dwell on it too much. We've all been in your shoes, Greenie," Alby reassured her. He patted Cessie's shoulder, reminding her.

"If there's anything that crosses your mind, no matter how small, you have to tell us. You can trust us, as long as you're willing to work together with the Gladers," he said.

Cessie nodded in understanding. Gally left the hut, followed by Winston. Alby then left after instructing Newt to show Cessie around the Glade.

"So, Greenie, are you ready to get acquainted with the Glade?" Newt said in a calm tone, feeling a mix of excitement and anticipation that's hard to describe.

"I suppose so," Cessie replied, getting up from the bed she had used to rest.

"Come on, Greenie, let's go," Newt said, nodding his head towards Cessie, signaling her to start walking.

As they stepped out of the hut, the air felt refreshing. Newt walked ahead, with Cessie trailing behind, adjusting her pace to match his.

"You know, the Gladers were quite puzzled when a girl appeared in the Box. But their confusion instantly turned into excitement when they laid eyes on your face," Newt said with a small laugh. Cessie chuckled at Newt's comment.

"Are there any other women in the Glade besides me?" Cessie asked.

"I've told you before. You're the first. I don't know what they have planned, but so far, you're the first," Newt said, picking up a twig from the grass as he walked. Cessie kept her steps steady to stay balanced with Newt.

Newt and Cessie stopped in the middle of the Glade. This time, Cessie was taken aback as she slowly turned, observing her surroundings. Well, when she arrived, she fainted, so she definitely hadn't had the chance to look around.

"What the hell is this?" Cessie exclaimed. The Gladers, who were going about their activities, occasionally stole glances in the direction of Newt and Cessie.

"Stop questioning everything to me, greenie. I'll hand you over to Chuck," Newt said while waving his hand towards someone behind him.

"Chuck, come," he called out to a young boy approaching Cassie and Newt.

"Has she remembered her name?" Chuck asked Newt, extending his hand for a handshake with Cassie.

"Cassandra. You can call me whatever you feel comfortable with," Cassie replied, returning Chuck's handshake.