Chapter 5 : Minho or Mean Hoe?

Cessie's POV ...

After the Bonfire party, Newt immediately brought me back to the Med-jack. He said I would only stay there for one night. Luckily, the Med-jack was empty. There was no one sick needing rest.

After dropping me off, Newt went straight to the Homestead to rest. I also saw Frypan at the Bonfire. He let me taste his vegetable dish, but I was still hungry. I was starving. My throat was dry. I felt like I was dehydrating in the middle of the night.

"Shit!" I muttered in frustration.

I was all alone here. The lights were dim, casting an orange glow. My stomach growled. I didn't want to die of hunger on the first day, so I decided to search for food in the kitchen.

I quickly got up from the bed, making sure to grab my jacket and the 1x3 dimension scarf that I wrapped around my neck. I also grabbed other items such as clothes and supplies for the other Gladers.

I stepped out of the Med-jack. The air was freezing cold. How could the others sleep in the open Homestead? Even though they slept on hammocks, the air was still chilling.

I walked slowly and cautiously, being careful not to let anyone know that I was still wandering around in the middle of the night.

I accidentally glanced towards the forest in the Glade. There was a faint light there, a dim lamp that I could still see with my eyes. I was curious about this place, with no exception for the forest. Even though it was pitch dark inside, my curiosity outweighed the darkness that had been present since I arrived here.

I gathered the courage to step into the forest.

"Shit!" I muttered under my breath. I slipped on a damn rock. There was a one-meter wide path that stretched into the distance. It was clear that this path led towards the light.

I couldn't help but wonder why Alby, Chuck, or even Newt didn't give me a tour there. Or maybe they would tomorrow?

Ah, forget it. I was already inside. I wasn't afraid. But deep down, I was scared.

The light grew closer, and I murmured to myself, "A shack?"

I reached out for the door.

"It's not locked," I whispered.

Perhaps no one would scold me if I went inside. Besides, who keeps valuable items in the middle of the forest and leaves them unsecured?

I entered, and...

"Minho?" I said very softly, while covering my mouth.

He was sound asleep on a wooden seat, with one foot overlapping the other. Both of his hands were hugging his arms. Maybe he was feeling cold.
He was still wearing the same clothes from when I first met him at the entrance to the maze.

I slowly approached him. His face looked so peaceful while he slept. His hair was always stylish. How could he manage to look so stylish? The Gladers I've encountered always had messy, unkempt hair, and were covered in dirt. Well, although Minho looked a bit dirty, it didn't diminish his handsomeness.

Oops... Did I just admit that?

Anyway, what matters is that he's not the same as when he wakes up and we cross paths with that intimidating gaze.

I reached for the scarf I was wearing. I spread the fabric over him to keep his body from getting cold.

What is he doing here? Aren't all the other Gladers, except me, resting at the homestead?

I didn't want him to wake up and look at me like he did before. I immediately walked towards the door. Before the door could open, a short sentence froze me in my tracks.