Chapter 22 : Greenie. Again?

Cessie's POV ...

This time, I woke up without the usual nightmares that haunt me while I sleep. It feels peaceful, undisturbed by events that may or may not have happened in my past.

I'm not sure what time it is, but it seems to still be early in the morning. Surprisingly, Chuck didn't come to wake me up.

I step out of my sleeping hut and make my way towards the fry kitchen with the intention of helping out. Ever since I got injured in the maze, I've been temporarily stopped by Alby and Minho. They believe I need to recover before continuing the trials as a runner. It's frustrating because just when I start to make progress, something always happens that sets me back again.

Due to the incident with Ben, I was subjected to the leaders of the Glade's judgment, and ultimately I ended up being held in prison.

Look at me now. After being released, it's the Glade's leader and their runner captain who have to take a break for a while to recover.

Ah, bloody brilliant.

Now my work here is not consistent. Sometimes I'm in the kitchen, sometimes in the gardens, and sometimes I help Clint and Jeff treat the Gladers who get injured while working. Even though they only have light tasks, you never know. They could accidentally stab their hands on a freshly cut stack of wood and end up hurting themselves.

When I arrive at the kitchen, Fry immediately opens his arms wide, with his right hand still holding a spoon.

"Finally, you're here," Fry said, embracing me.

I returned the warm hug, glancing at some Gladers sitting and chatting nearby. They greeted me kindly.

I helped Fry finish preparing breakfast for the Gladers and then went to find Newt.

"I'll go look for Newt," I said, getting ready to leave. Suddenly, Fry spoke up.

"No need to go. There he is," Fry said, pointing towards two men walking towards us.

"Newt," I said, intending to approach him, but my steps halted as someone followed behind Newt.

"Hey, Cessie. Gally and I just came from the med-jack," Newt said, looking at Gally before shifting his gaze towards me.

"Hey Cessie, how are you feeling? Do you remember who you really are?" Gally said, staring at me flatly.

"Shut up, Gally," Newt replied before an argument could break out.

Uh, Gally, who used to respect me, now seems to dislike me because of Ben. He believes that I am behind the exile of humans in this strange place based on what Ben said when he was under the influence of the Griever's sting.

"Uh, I'm going to go," I said, then walked away from them. Newt called out my name, but I just kept walking, distancing myself from them.

"What's the matter, Gally? Ah, damn it!" Newt exclaimed, frustrated with the man standing next to him.

"What? I was just joking," Gally replied.

"You're stressing her out, Gally," Fry said.

"Okay, okay. My bad," Gally said, trying to play it off.

Newt took a deep breath and let out a rough exhale through his mouth.

"Whatever, Gally," Newt said.

"I don't know what to do anymore. Everything in the Glade started going haywire when that girl arrived," Gally said, sitting down.

Newt looked at Gally and then placed his plate on the table.

"Well, I know," Newt replied.

"I'm just confused as to why a girl as beautiful as her was sent to a place like this. It seems like she deserves something better than this," Newt added.