Chapter 24 : The Serum

Author's POV...

The two girls bartered in the same spot in the treehouse. Cessie told the Gladers to give them some time to talk, as the girl seemed shocked by her recent experience.

"What place is this?" the girl asked.

"I don't know. I have no idea what kind of place this is either," Cessie replied, gazing towards the maze door.

"Why?" the girl asked, looking at Cessie confused.

Cessie raised an eyebrow in a questioning expression.

"Why can't I remember anything?" she asked again.

"I-I don't remember anything either," she stammered nervously.

"Parents? Home? I don't remember anyone. No one familiar crosses my mind - I-" she was interrupted as Cessie quickly cut her off.

"Hey hey, it's okay, Teresa. You'll be alright," Cessie said, patting Teresa's shoulder.

Tears welled up in the woman's eyes, and Cessie sympathized with her.

"I've been in your shoes too. You're lucky you came here with me already around. You're not like me when I first came to this place as the first woman," Cessie laughed.

Teresa then looked at Cessie, feeling slightly calmer now.

"What did they do to you?" Teresa asked, giving her a strange look.

"What do you mean? Who are they?" Cessie asked.

"They. The men in this place. What did they do to you?" Teresa asked, looking at Cessie with concern.

"Hey. What do you mean, I don't understand. They gave me food," Cessie said with a surprised tone.

"No, Cessie. I mean, do you know? No woman in this place. Just you! Did they-" Teresa's words were cut off as Cessie, who had already grasped her direction, immediately shouted, startling Teresa and stopping her from continuing.

"WHAT THE FUCK, TERESA!!" Cessie yelled.

Teresa was taken aback, her eyes widening.

"Your mind is so dirty! No. Disgusting!" Cessie said, making a disgusted gesture with her body language.

"What's wrong with asking like that? Don't you know what they could do to you?" Teresa said.

"Yes, I know! Do you see the guys down there?" Cessie said, pointing towards Gally by the river who was observing their interactions.

Teresa followed Cessie's pointed finger and looked at Gally on the other side.

"Yeah. Him. The guy over there with the odd eyebrows. He could easily kill you if you misbehave," Cessie said and then glanced at Teresa with annoyance.

"He looks interesting," Teresa replied with a smile.

"What the hell, Teresa!" Cessie exclaimed.

"Forget it. Your taste is strange!" she continued.

They fell silent for a moment until Teresa's eyes caught sight of a tall, dark-haired man with a tight-fitting shirt that showed off his muscles.

"Hey, who's he?" Teresa asked.

The girl immediately forgot her fear.

Cessie then looked around to identify the person.

"The guy over there walking with the blonde guy next to him," Teresa clarified.

"Oh, that blonde one is the second-in-command of the Glade. His name's Newt. The other one is Minho," Cessie explained lazily.

Teresa looked at both men from a distance as they faded from her view.