Chapter 38 : Silence

When they began preparing a stick to push the girl, Minho immediately signaled Newt not to push her.

Newt wondered about Minho's command, but he eventually understood when he saw with his own eyes that Cessie started walking inside.

"I'm sorry, Cessie," Newt muttered, still audible.

"You can make it, Cassie!" Frypan said.

"Go, Cessie, go! You can make it!" Several Gladers chanted, until the girl was standing inside the maze without them realizing it.

Minho stared at the girl as the maze door closed; he didn't want to turn away from her face.

"Be careful," Minho whispered to the girl from a distance, hoping she could hear him.

Minho really hoped Cessie could read his lips, so she would know that Minho always cared about her.

As the door began to close almost completely, Minho whispered softly, continuing his earlier sentence.

"Don't die!" Then the door closed with a loud bang, indicating that the walls were tightly locked together.

Instantly, silence filled the air. They began to leave the maze without saying a word. Even Newt didn't tell the other Gladers that Cessie had become the property of the maze.

Newt remained in his position, while Minho stayed in the same spot, but he lay down on the Glade's grassy area, leaving Newt and Minho alone.

Suddenly, someone ran towards them. Newt turned to see who was rushing towards them.

"Where did you come from?" Newt started to say, but the man's swearing was cut off as he arrived in front of the closed maze door, looking frustrated.

"Damn it!" He cursed angrily while glancing at Newt.

Minho didn't want to witness another commotion with the new arrivals, so he decided to go to the mapping room in a messy state of mind.

Before he could fully stand, Minho was stopped by Thomas's statement to Newt.

"Did you two really do it? I thought you wouldn't take it seriously," Thomas said angrily, looking at Newt and Minho.

"Do you keep thinking that if she dies, WICKED will stop sending new kids here?" Thomas challenged.

Minho's heart raced as he listened to Thomas. He was truly fed up with all the chaos that had been happening. Minho quickly pushed Thomas, causing him to tumble into the grass, making Newt even more agitated, and the other Gladers started gathering.

"What are you doing, Minho?" Newt asked as he approached Thomas, who was lying in the Glade's grass.

"SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH, GREENIE! I'M SICK OF HEARING CESSIE'S NAME! LET ALONE WICKED! STOP MENTIONING THEM, OR I'LL THROW YOU INTO THE MAZE JUST LIKE THAT GIRL!" Minho shouted loudly, leaving everyone stunned.

"Damn!" Minho muttered.

They were afraid to see Minho angry. They were used to his sassy, bad attitude but not used to seeing him angry.

The Gladers dispersed again. Newt helped Thomas to his feet and then approached Minho.

"Minho, whatever you did to Thomas, it's not right," Newt said to Minho.

Minho had been dealing with this for so long, especially since the girl had arrived for the first time in the Glade, driving him even crazier, and now she had ended up in such a sad situation inside the maze.

Minho kept thinking about her. What if she was scared in the maze? What if she got lost? Or what if she went through the Griever's maze alone and got trapped in it? The worst possibility was if she met a Griever; then, it was certain she wouldn't survive.