Chapter 7 : Friends

Cessie's POV ...

After the meeting ended, Alby took me on a final tour. He led me to the stone wall next to the entrance of the maze. There were so many names there, some still intact, while others were crossed out. Alby explained that the crossed-out names belonged to those who perished three years ago when they sent in a large group of new kids and the Grievers wreaked havoc. I also carved my name on the wall. Or rather, I etched my name onto it. After that, he took me up to a tree that resembled a treehouse, but without a roof.

"Are you afraid of heights, greenie?" Alby asked me.

"No," I replied. Without hesitation, I climbed up the ladder attached to the tree.

Alby followed me from below.

"Finally," I murmured when we reached the top.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Alby said.

I looked around from up here. It was ten times more beautiful than when I looked at the Glade from below.

"Yes, it is," I replied.

"This is what we have. We've tried to build something here. If you respect what we've done, we'll accept you as a Glader," Alby explained.

"What's out there?" I asked, gazing at the maze door.

Alby stared at the maze and then back at me.

"Listen. There are only three rules you need to follow."

"First, just do your job. Whatever it is, you have to work. There's no time to waste," he continued.

"Second, don't hurt other Gladers. You're here now, so you're part of us. We'll protect you as long as you protect us. Essentially, we have to trust each other," he said again.

"Third, and most importantly, never go out there unless you're a Runner," Alby said.

"Even tomorrow?" I asked.

"Tomorrow, you can go out there. But remember, you still need to be tested. Your career is in the hands of the Runners," he said.

I nodded, understanding Alby's words. I took a deep breath, and finally, I caught a glimpse of the shadow in the distance.

"Hey, are they going out?" I asked Alby.

"Yes. They always do that every day," Alby replied.

In the distance, I could see Minho, Ben, and several others who were undoubtedly Runners running into the maze. I stared at Minho from behind until the shadow disappeared as they turned a corner.

Alby, realizing this, spoke up.

"Have you met Minho?" Alby asked.

"I have. He was the first one to reject me," I replied, annoyed.

Alby laughed at my attitude.

"No, I mean personally. You and Minho. Just the two of you," he said.

Well, more like accidentally ran into him.

"No," I lied.

"Minho always tries to find other runners, so that his job can be easier. But it's not an easy task for him. Minho is the first one to step up if any of his team members are in danger. But he's so stubborn. No Glader dares to mess with him. He's too audacious and annoying. Even with me, Minho dares to act so recklessly. But all the Gladers always check on him, making sure he's okay or not. Our lives depend on the Runners," Alby explained.

"Especially Minho," Alby added.

"I thought you had already met him personally. He seems to be looking out for you," Alby said.

"No, maybe he underestimates me, but it seems like he's looking out for me," I replied innocently.

Alby laughed.

"Maybe we can be friends," he said.

Oh my, my heart melted.

"Oh Alby, of course. I can be your friend," I assured him.

"Listen, Cessie. Whoever you were before you were sent here, I hope you won't betray us," Alby said sincerely.

Suddenly, I became sensitive. My eyes welled up. I felt like crying. I hugged Alby. He returned the hug warmly.

"I promise," I said.

I released my hug on Alby and he said, "Let's go down. You go look for a frypan. There's something I need to take care of."

I nodded in understanding. Alby and I immediately went down and went our separate ways. Alby with his task, and me with mine to find a frypan.

After walking through the Glade for a while, I finally arrived at the kitchen. Someone was staring at me and...

"Greniee, you're finally here," Fry said.

"You look busy, Fry," I laughed as I approached him.

"While you're free, can you help me out?" he said, busy preparing plates for the food he made.

"What's all this for?" I asked.

"Minho and the Runners are going to map the maze during the day. So they'll only be back for a short while before it gets dark. Besides, your trial was supposed to be in the morning, but Minho was forbidden from waking you up that early," he explained.

Hmm, why Minho...

"I have to prepare the food for them first. Otherwise, Minho will nag at me all day," Alby whispered when he mentioned Minho's name.

I laughed upon hearing that.
Alby was right. They prioritize Minho so much because without him, the Gladers would be trapped here forever.

I immediately helped Fry by slicing vegetables, peeling onions, retrieving meat from Winston's storage, and cooking according to Fry's instructions.

It's quite exciting to be here. Fry is an incredibly skilled cook. He seems to work alone because he's the only one who knows how to cook. Even if someone helps him, it's because the Gladers have finished their tasks and everything is done according to Fry's measurements.

I don't know what time it is, but it's starting to get dark, and finally, the food is ready. Fry and I prepare the meal for the Gladers and the Runners.

I peeked through the door to see if the Runners had arrived yet.

The Gladers were also looking towards the door, seemingly waiting for the Runners' arrival.

1

2

3

And-

Minho, Ben, and the other Runners emerged from the maze just a few seconds before the door closed.

Ben immediately collapsed in the middle of the grassy clearing that adorned the Glade.

I could see Newt and Alby approaching them.

Minho immediately sat down next to Ben. They seemed to be cracking jokes and chuckling softly at whatever they were sharing.

It was the first time I had seen Minho laugh so freely, and it was only when he was with Ben. There was no need to question it; after running together for three years, their bond must be incredibly strong.

Just then, Fry called me over to help him distribute food to the Gladers who were lining up for their dinner.