Chapter 42 : Blood

The air was bitterly cold, piercing the skin and making anyone who felt it shiver.

"Shuck it! It's too cold here," Thomas said as he ran alongside the man next to him, holding both his hands to warm himself.

Minho didn't respond to Thomas's words. His eyes stared straight ahead, cold and empty.

The atmosphere in the maze was vastly different. There was no longer a sense of trying to solve the labyrinth's code; all that was implied in Minho's eyes was the girl.

'Where are you?' He wondered in his heart. His instincts urged him to keep searching through every maze pathway.

"Damn it!" Minho cursed in frustration, his running steps coming to a halt.

Thomas followed Minho's lead and stopped at a maze intersection.

"Listen, Thomas. We can't explore one maze and return before sundown. I want you to split up. Go to sections one through three, and I'll go to sections four through seven. Do you remember the way?" Minho explained, ending with a question.

Thomas nodded in understanding and then awkwardly looked at Minho, making Minho take a deep breath and sigh.

"I doubt you," Minho said.

Minho then took a water bottle from his bag and pulled out a pocket knife from his pants pocket, extending it to Thomas.

Thomas looked at Minho's offering and then back at Minho.

"Why are you giving me this?" Thomas asked directly to Minho.

"What do you think it is?" Minho asked back, followed by Thomas reaching out to take Minho's offering.

"Look at yourself. You came to the maze with nothing but your clueless brain! Do you want to get killed?" Minho said, leaving Thomas speechless.

'Shit!!' Thomas screamed in his mind; he was too rushed and forgot what he needed to bring.

"If you've gone around sections one through three and haven't found her, go straight back to the Glade! Don't force yourself to search until you find her, or you'll die in this stupid place. Do you hear me?" Minho said firmly to Thomas.

Thomas nodded in understanding, although Minho wasn't entirely convinced by his nod.

"If you haven't completed your search in those sections and the sun starts to set, you must hurry to avoid getting trapped in here. It will be tough, Thomas. Whatever you find, don't let it drag you down and become the reason you don't return to the Glade," Minho said, patting Thomas's shoulder.

Minho knew how it felt to be in Thomas's shoes and find his own sibling in a terrible condition or even helpless. It felt like the world had no meaning anymore because everything precious in his life was gone.

To prevent that from happening, Minho decided to say it in advance so that Thomas could better prepare for whatever might happen.

Minho immediately turned in the direction they had agreed upon. Thomas went right, Minho went left. Before they separated, Minho shouted to Thomas from his direction.

"I like your determination, Greenie!"

"You're stupid! But I guess I need someone as foolish as you!" Minho said, then turned and continued his run towards the sections they had designated.

Hearing Minho's first positive comment to him, even though it sounded mocking, Thomas smiled, his heart warmed by Minho.

Thomas ran equipped with a pocket knife and a bottle of water, looking at the bottle reminded Thomas of Minho.