Chapter 48 : Runners?

Cessie's POV...

I stared at him while swallowing a mouthful of Frypan's delicious soup.

"Teresa helped undress me, and I'm really grateful for that," I continued, taking another spoonful into my mouth.

What the hell, why is he laughing at me? This isn't like Minho at all.

He started to breathe in and out as if he were bored, then looked at me.

"Teresa? Damn. Why didn't you think of that earlier? If I had known, I would have written my name on your body so you'd know that I'm the one who undressed you to save your life," Minho said, shaking his head in disbelief at my statement.

I was stunned by what came out of his mouth.

Not Teresa? Did he really undress me?

"What the hell, Minho? No! Newt explicitly told me that Teresa helped the med-jacks undress me!" I exclaimed, clarifying what actually happened.

He stared at me with an indescribable expression.

"You have a mole on your left side—" he began, looking at a sensitive area of my body. I immediately covered the area he was referring to with my hand, glaring at him. How did he know about the mole?

Did he...?

Did he really do it?

"No, Minho! Tell me everything you said is a lie!" I demanded.

He looked at me defiantly with an icy, intimidating stare, leaving me speechless.

"Do you want me to describe specifically what I saw?" Minho asked, making me believe that he was the one who undressed me.

No! What is he doing? Oh, damn! He saw me, and earlier, he was messing around with Teresa.

"You jerk!" I exclaimed, pouting and furrowing my brow, pretending to be sad in front of him.

Minho picked up the soup bowl, placed it on the wooden table, and started touching my hand.

"I'm glad you're back," he said, kissing my hand.

Wait!

He kissed my hand?

No! He has Teresa, and he still dares to come near me?

I wanted to pull my hand away from his grasp, but why? When I tried to retract my hand, I found myself enjoying what he was doing.

Oh God!! How can I fall in love with an Alpha who is admired by many people while I'm just one of the weak ones who isn't worthy of walking alongside an Alpha?

I suddenly remembered Minho's incredibly sweet gestures when he tried to comfort me. I recalled when he hugged me and the promise he made that he would find me no matter what.

Newt also told me that Minho was the only one who didn't give up on keeping me alive. This man was willing to get me out of the maze before the sun went down, never giving up when my heart had already surrendered.

Suddenly, tears welled up in my eyes, making Minho look at me with concern.

"Did my grip hurt you?" Minho asked as he released my hand.

My thoughts were too jumbled to guess what was going on. I didn't know what his intentions were for approaching me when he had Teresa, but whoever Minho was, I had to thank him for the effort he made to keep me alive until now.

"It's okay. I'm just not in a good mood," I replied reflexively, covering up what was actually making me sad.

"I think you need some rest. I'll let you rest for a while. Tomorrow, Thomas and I will return to the maze to investigate the meaning of the clue we obtained from the Griever you killed," Minho explained to me.

I even forgot how I fought the giant creature, resulting in the first item they had found while going through the maze.

Minho was about to stand up, but he leaned his face towards me and then slowly turned it to the left. My mind wandered everywhere, not knowing what he was going to do next. I just stayed silent, trying not to have high expectations, considering he had kissed Teresa earlier and they were together in Teresa's hut.

Maybe Minho had been sleeping with that girl all this time. But why did he keep coming to me, giving me hope as if he loved me, yet he played subtly behind my back?

Smooth Minho, So smooth!!

"Good night," he whispered in my ear, then stood up, took the bowl I had used earlier, and left without looking back at me.

________

Morning had arrived, and Minho and Thomas were standing in front of the maze's entrance, waiting for the doors to open.

When the doors were about to open, and they were ready to run inside, someone called out to them.

"I'm coming!" The girl said, already wearing a small backpack. Thomas smiled at her.

"That's my girl!" Thomas exclaimed excitedly, walking slowly towards the girl and patting her on the back.

Minho stared at the girl sharply, then ran over to her.

"What are you doing?" Minho asked.

"I want to run," the girl teased.

"Enough, Minho. Let her come along," Thomas said. Cessie grinned at Thomas and Minho.

Minho pushed Thomas and whispered in his ear.

"Are you crazy? She still needs to rest, Thomas! I'm exhausted from carrying her hundreds of kilometers on foot!" Minho said, making Thomas give up.

"Sorry, dude," Thomas said to Cessie.

"Oh, come on, guys. I've recovered!" Cessie protested so she could join them.

"Besides, I feel something familiar about this maze. I want to explore that feeling further to understand what's going on here. Who knows, I might find a way out or clues that lead us to freedom," Cessie said, making Minho reconsider.

Minho grumbled in frustration, then answered Cessie.

"Fine! If you insist, I won't hesitate to leave you in there alone if anything goes wrong," Minho said firmly, making Cessie smile with happiness.

"Let's go!" Minho exclaimed, followed by Cessie and Thomas as they all ran inside the maze.