Chapter 37 : I can't make it

With her hands tightly bound by a piece of wooden rope, Cessie was escorted by Minho towards the entrance of the maze.

This banishment was very different from the ones before. Most Gladers who were banished would rebel and plead not to be banished, but Minho didn't seem to need much effort to lead someone to banishment this time, as Cessie walked straight towards the maze entrance without resisting.

Ironically, this banishment was against someone who was completely conscious and not under the control of the Grievers' sting.

Minho held the girl's bound hands behind her. Her hands felt very cold and trembling, and her steps were slow, so Minho positioned himself alongside her to avoid forcing her to move too quickly.

The girl was truly done with everything in this place, and she couldn't fathom ending up in such a sad state.

From a distance, they gazed at the Gladers who were waiting in front of the Glade. Cessie noticed that they were all holding their sticks but quickly turned their heads to look at Minho, whose expression was quite unpredictable.

"Minho. Where's your stick?" the girl broke the silence among them.

Minho looked at Cessie with a sideways glance, furrowing his brow.

"Do you think I'd push you with a stick?" he retorted.

As Cessie walked towards the maze, she continued to stare at Minho, who remained focused on the path ahead.

"I won't let that happen. It's enough that I'm taking you in there. I don't want my hands to be stained by pushing you in," he said, still looking straight ahead.

Cessie immediately turned her gaze forward and noticed that they were getting closer.

Suddenly, the girl was hit by a panic attack.

"Minho," Cessie whispered softly, audible to Minho.

Minho, still staring straight ahead, just grunted 'hmm' and continued to approach while pulling Cessie.

From Cessie's current position, she could see the Gladers. They all seemed downcast except for Gally.

They felt incredibly sad about banishing Cessie, who had inspired the Gladers since her arrival, even though many saw her as a problem.

"I-I'm scared," Cessie stammered, trembling, and stopped walking. This sudden action caused the man who had been escorting her to halt when they were about ten meters away from the Gladers.

"You can't act like this. Show them that you're brave," Minho encouraged Cessie while holding both her shoulders.

Minho couldn't bring himself to look at the girl in front of him. Her furrowed brow and trembling lips were signs of her fear.

"I'm afraid, Minho. I won't survive! I'm sure I can't do what you're saying," the girl panicked, tears streaming down her cheeks.

If only she knew how broken Minho felt when he looked into her eyes that were losing hope.

"Listen, I—" Minho didn't have a chance to finish his sentence as Cessie immediately pulled her leg back.

"I can't, Minho! Let me go!" Cessie exclaimed, resisting.

"NO, DAMN IT!" Minho groaned, struggling to hold onto her.

Cessie started crying. Her legs felt weak, knowing she would soon be thrown into the maze.

"DON'T - MAKE - ME - LOOK EVIL - IN YOUR EYES!" Minho said with great emphasis.

"CAN YOU PLEASE STOP STRUGGLING SO I DON'T HAVE TO DRAG YOU IN THERE?" he yelled in front of the girl's face, silencing her.