Chapter 12 : Where's the Sassy Minho?

Cessie's POV ...

Still on the same day after I regained consciousness from passing out in the maze with Cessie. I am really hungry. Well, no wonder. I didn't even eat the food Ben provided in the maze. And now I ended up passing out. I woke up when the Gladers had finished dinner.

My stomach grumbled...

"Are you hungry? Wait," Minho said as he quickly stood up from where he was sitting.

"Where are you going?" I asked, stopping him in his tracks.

Minho turned to look at me. He paused for a moment, glanced under the bed, and then stared directly at me.

"To the kitchen," he replied shortly.

"I'll have Frypan make you some food," he said...

"What? No need to bother. I can make my own food," Cessie said. I didn't want to inconvenience Frypan. Besides, it's already late. And even if they're still awake, it would be a hassle to ask him to cook.

"No... it's okay. I will," Minho said, then gave a small smile in my direction.

Wait...

Did he just smile at me?

"No, Minho-" I started to say, but he already left just like that.

Damn it.

I stood up, intending to follow him to Frypan's kitchen.

"Shh," I muttered quietly.

My foot hurts. Well. I forgot how I got this injury on my foot. Maybe I got it when I almost got crushed by the closing walls of the maze earlier.

"Don't bother Minho. You're new here and almost got him trapped in the maze," Gally said, trying to intimidate me.

"Whatever, Gally," I replied dismissively.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"Fry," I said shortly, continuing to walk away from Gally.

That guy is weird. Sometimes he's supportive, sometimes he's intimidating. Yesterday he was cheering me on to become a Runner, and now he's blaming me for causing trouble for Minho. Whatever. I'm hungry.

As I walked through the Glade, it seemed deserted, but the lights were still on in the kitchen across from me. I could faintly hear Fry's laughter.

Despite my limp, I grew more excited to see Fry. I missed his cooking.

As I approached the kitchen shack, I overheard a conversation between Fry and Minho.

"Who dares to ask Minho to come to the kitchen at night to get food?" Frypan laughed as he poured rice into a pot that seemed to be sizzling with boiling oil.

I couldn't see them because I was still standing beside, purposely eavesdropping on their conversation without their knowledge.

"Shut up, idiot!" Minho snapped.

"I find it highly entertaining. Usually, it's you who orders anyone to prepare your food and drinks. Even Alby, the Glade's leader, wouldn't dare ask you," Alby remarked.

"Shut up, Fry. Should I go on a strike with my mapping duties so you won't be able to leave this crazy place?" Minho said, followed by Fry's laughter.

Fry is really funny. I immediately entered and...

"What the hell, Cessie!" Minho exclaimed in surprise.

"Whoops. We have a visitor," Fry said.

Minho, who was sitting at the table, approached me.