Chapter 49 : The way out

They ran around the maze until they reached a part of the maze commonly referred to as the "Blade," because it was very sharp and could rotate, changing positions.

Thomas stopped for a moment, leaning against the maze wall. He looked extremely tired, and his face had turned red.

"You tired? Pathetic!" Minho remarked casually, not out of breath at all. He stood with his legs crossed, leaning against the maze wall, hands folded in front of his chest.

"Beautiful day!" he mumbled softly, still audible. Cessie looked puzzled as she gazed at Minho.

"Aren't you tired?" Cessie asked innocently, looking straight at Minho. Thomas, who heard his sister's foolish question, stared at them alternately, curious about what Minho would say after hearing her silly question.

"I've been running regularly for three years, Cessie. Running is a part of life for me. If you stop running, you'll be the first one to die trapped in the maze, and you'll become a Griever's meal," Minho said casually, making Thomas afraid of him.

As they fell silent, something made a sound from the small backpack Minho carried. Cessie, realizing this, ran towards Minho and pushed him, startling him.

No one had dared to push Minho before, let alone push him suddenly, causing him to stagger slightly.

"What the fuck, Shank!" Minho said to Cessie.

"What's going on, Cess?" Thomas asked, confused about what his sister was doing.

The three of them fell silent when Cessie took out the object from Minho's small backpack that had made the sound. Cessie held it up, and it made different sounds when pointed in different directions.

"Do you think the same as I do?" Thomas asked Cessie.

Minho still stared at them in wonder, not wanting to get involved in the conversation between siblings.

"I think this object gives us directions," Cessie said.

"Are you sure?" Minho asked.

"Yeah!" she said, so sure, then began to advance, following the sound of the object.

Minho walked beside the girl, protecting her so that nothing happened to her, while Thomas walked behind them, following Cessie while remaining vigilant about what they would find.

They ran along the path, trying to check section seven. The part opened up a way that had never been open before.

Minho was amazed by this, catching Cessie and Thomas's attention, and they wondered what was on Minho's mind.

"So, what do you think?" Thomas asked.

"This is strange," Minho said while walking into the open path in section seven.

"What's weird?" Cessie asked.

"You've never seen this part before?" Thomas guessed what was happening.

"Yeah. I've run in every corner, but this wall is just a regular wall; it never opened even a bit. How can this happen?" Minho couldn't believe it.

"Stay close!" Minho ordered, making Cessie and Thomas move closer to him.

They walked straight until they reached the end of the wall. Minho took a deep breath and then sighed in frustration.

"Dead end again," Minho asked mockingly.

"Great, Cessie. This object led us to a stupid empty wall," he said.

Suddenly, the object Cessie was holding started making a rapid noise, and the number seven displayed on its screen began to turn green. The wall behind them started to lift up, and they looked at each other.