Chapter 61

" What do you want Mr. Craig ? " Veronica asked Garen as soon as he stepped outside the room closing the door behind him as she eyed it ,In there was her friend ,her cousin and a close lovable relative .

" I want everything ,tell me what happened " he spoke looking at her eyes intently and she nodded pursing her lips into a thin line but she wanted to see her first and he refused so she agreed and both started walking outside . Hopped to his car and he drove back home ,the conversation is going to get serious .

He now sat down looking at her as she rubbed her hands giving the sighs after some passing silent minutes and his patience was running out .

" When she came home Aunt Jesca used to leave her with Nessa whenever she traveled or maybe went for her business or works and the two never got along well , one-day went to quarrel and she was out to the streets not knowing where to go and Aunt traveled by then for  a week maybe .....

I don't know how she survived out there but some priest saved her from something and hunger and he told us she was on drugs ,god knows how long but she agreed taking a rehab treatments and she did but the ghosts of her past couldn't let her be "

She now threw him the hatred eye as a tear rolled down her cheeks and she rubbed it as she scoffed before carrying on .

" She was off drugs and that was a relief but something new came with it , the cuttings and insomnia .....I bet she never slept well back in rehab , I came to know about that when I one day just bagged inside her room to find her naked but that glory was dull ,her skin well filled with cuts apart from the scars ,she cut herself so many times "

Turning aside as she rubbed the tears and sighed deeply .

" Aunt died and the insomnia got worst ,she loved her so much I guess even when they were not related so ,I got her to therapy and she started pills that she was supposed to give up after sometimes and she assured me of that after sometimes and I believed her .......

She gasped rubbing her face in frustrations .

I guess that's my mistake ,I should have not believed her at all "

" She went well ,especially with her two crazy friends from rehab . They were her friends but she was different ....never wanted a man to begin with , didn't drink anymore though she once told me she was a drunker , she didn't want anyone close by except me ,her friends and least she tolerated Vanessa "

" She hated going shopping , Wearing white clothes  letting her hairs free ,she hated them long , hated their colour ,hated a lot of things but she was a hard-working woman ,she was making a progress and  making herself a good life to carry with " .

" Some are not to be told Garen ,she'll do that herself when she gather the courage to pour out what she's been hold ,I don't even know that much " she ended giving him a hard glare that told him all ,she hated him with all his guts .

" You can go and see her " he spoke and she wasted no time as she stood and glared at her bag .

"Why are you doing this to her ? " She asked and he sighed rubbing his hands on his face ,he was tired of that question ,he asked himself that too and still he got no answer to that .

" Am protecting her this time , someone is behind that murder .....she's innocent " he explained and earned himself a chuckle as he looked up to meet her eyes .

" You're so fucked up " she spat with hatred ,tears rolling down her cheeks profusely now .

" Do you know what you have done ? " She asked and his palm fisted hard , he knew he fucked big time .

" You really have no idea ,do you ? " She went again as he looked down at his shoes .

" Well then I wish you all the best in finding out what you've really done because there's nothing you can fix ....trust me on that " she rubbed her tears and walked outside leaving the bag she came with
On reaching the door as if remembered that she had something ,turned and faced him .

" She loved those ,hand them over " with that she left .

Nica knew that she couldn't compete with him but she wasn't leaving her friend in his hands anyhow . Protection ,what is he protecting her from when he's done the whole life damage ...that sick bastard with his nerves .

Behind Garen held onto the near by chair stabling himself from the feeling he was harbouring from the news .

" She used drugs " he mumbled like a plea as his eyes got teary . His memory wandered back when she worked for the Adult saving programm that aimed at educating teens and adults om the risky behaviours and she would go for that one topic she mastered and hated so much ,in every school ,collages , university ,companies and services works ....she reprimanded drugs , she hated knowing that someone was on drugs , she had wished that this world can be without a single abuse of a drug but she had used that too now .

She had used that one thing she hated ,that one thing she saved people from using ,she saved teens back then and ensured her treatments but now she was a victim herself ......she needed help ,and

" I wasn't there " he mumbled again .

" Am sorry "

" Am sorry Femy "

He held himself to his knees as tear fell off his eye , he really fucked up big time .

What more has she experienced .

What more is  there to her .

How far has she fallen to the darkest place , will he save her ?

That came with a mocking sound  ,he couldn't stay by her side seven years ago ,would he do so now , he didn't believe her ,he wasn't there for her .

Will he be now .

He has to ,he has to stand and find her  again .

He has to fall deep to the holes she's been held for so long to get her out , he has to face it and protect her from her past ghosts

▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️