58. Outcasts - Part 1

Somewhere between Canterlot and the Crystal Empire...

Two Pegasus members of the Royal Guards patrolled the area north of Canterlot, flying over the sky to keep an eye open for everything suspicious. Though one of them had a hard time focusing on his task due to being a little bored and letting out a tired yawn.

"Would you please focus a little more?" The other Pegasus said a little more serious, indicating that he either was a rank above the other one or just a little more sincere about his job.

"Sorry, I just can't help it...paroling in this area is just so boring..." the other more carefree one of them replied while having a hard time keeping his eyes open. "I mean, we are between Canterlot and the Crystal Empire so that means that guards from the empire are most likely patrolling in this area as well, making it kinda pointless to..."

"Speaking of which..." the other Pegasus interrupted after he spotted two other ponies on the ground, wearing the Crystal Empire armor version of the Royal Guards. The two ponies noticed the two Pegasus in the air and prompted them to land nearby.

The two Pegasus guards did so and decided to trade information about their patrol.
"Nothing unusual," the more serious Pegasus guard said while saluting.

"Nothing unusual here as well," one of the Crystal Guards replied with the same gesture.

"Of course, nothing unusual," the other more laid back of the Royal Guards almost burst out. "Nothing ever happens here since the Empire returned,"

"Will you stop complaining?" The other Pegasus Guard scolded.

"Well, what he says is true," one of the Crystal Guards admitted. "With two Princesses in charge, not to mention Shining Armor working on both sides, this area has become much more secure..."

"See?" The laid back one of the Pegasus said to his partner smugly, causing him to only look at him angrier.

One of the Crystal Guards couldn't help but laugh at how the two Pegasus talked to each other. He turned to his partner, who seemed to be looking at something in the distance, causing him to find out what he was looking at. He then saw a pony in a blue armor walking in the distance who didn't seem to notice the four ponies.
"Another patrol?" He wondered, which instantly got the attention of the two Pegasus.

"What? As far as I know, we two are the only ones assigned to this area," the more serious one of the two informed.

The Crystal Guards turned their heads towards the two Pegasus. "So are we. So who is that? Must be one of your guys because I don't recall anypony of us having a dark blue armor..."

"A dark blue armor, huh..." the serious one of the two Pegasus mumbled to himself while in deep thoughts. Then it suddenly struck him and his expression turned to a rather shocked one. "It must be..." he then said, worrying the other three ponies who noticed his sudden change.

"You know who that is?" One of the Crystal Guards asked.

"I'm afraid so," the Pegasus returned. "You two need to tell Shining Armor immediately about this while we inform Princess Celestia!" He ordered even though it was most likely that the two Crystal Guard had the same rank as him, giving him no reason to order them around.
But the two Crystal Ponies realized how serious it must have been and didn't ask any question about it anymore. They both returned to the Empire while the two Pegasus made their way back to Canterlot.

The more laid back Pegasus was heavily confused by his partner's sudden worried behavior and felt the need to ask what it was all about. "What's the matter? Who was that? And why is it necessary to inform Princess Celestia about it?" He asked a little worried.