71. Bearer of the Flag

In the school of Ponyville, Miss Cheerilee was just about to announce some great news to her class. Three guests were about to visit her class to give some of her students a chance of a lifetime. The fillies and colts in the classroom wondered what this was all about and waited for their teacher to introduce the first guest.

"Everypony, welcome the head of the Equestria Games, Miss. Harshwhinny!"

Seconds later, Miss Harshwhinny, the pony who once was responsible for choosing the location where the Equestria games would be held, entered the room. Though she was looking forward to sharing what she was about to say, the mare kept a serious or even displeased face which was either intentional or because she just had trouble showing her expressions.

"Thank you. Now, I'm sure you all know about the Equestria Games, where ponies from all over the land compete for glory in various athletic pursuits. Well, now you littlest ones will have the chance to compete for a weighty responsibility of your very own," she explained while keeping a stoic face at all times. The fillies and colts in the room had a hard time getting excited over this and almost felt intimidated by Miss Harshwhinny, but once the second guest entered the room, things completely changed.

"Oh, come on! Tell 'em the fun part!" A distant voice exclaimed, interrupting Miss Harshwhinny's speech. It came from Rainbow Dash who flew into the room and landed in front of the class posing and showing off as one would expect from her, leaving the class stunned. "That's right! All you gotta do is show Miss. Harshwhinny the coolest, most spectacular, most rocking routine and you're going to the Games!" She explained exited, which completely contrasted with Miss Harshwhinny's explanation before.

Of course, Miss Harshwhinny rolled her eyes because of this "childish" behavior and only shook her head in response, even though it actually worked in getting the fillies and colts exited.

Once the class got a little quieter, another voice could be heard from outside of the classroom. "Does that mean, I can come out now too?" The male voice then asked before it revealed itself as Star Twinkle who entered the room as well.

Cheerilee rasped and tried to stay professional. "Of course. Our other two guests are Rainbow Dash and Star Twinkle," she said, officially introducing the two ponies as well. "They will be your coaches and help you with your routines and in the end, decide which of you will be the winners,"

"Exactly!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed. "And do you know why I qualify as the perfect coach?" She asked, even though she didn't wait at all for a response. "Well, guess who carried the Cloudsdale flag in the Games when she was a little filly? Me! I'll never forget it –- I burst into the stadium, spreading my wings, the flag flapping in the breeze. I did tricks with that flag the likes of which nopony saw before and nopony's seen since!" She explained excitedly while she was literally waving around a little flag.

However, her over-enthusiasm was not unnoticed by Miss Harshwhinny, who was quickly dragging her back to the ground. "Yes, miss Dash and if you want to keep your job as coach of these ponies, you must maintain a professional attitude and keep your emotions in check!" She scolded, making Rainbow Dash actually feel a little intimidated. The mare then looked over to Star Twinkle, who felt intimidated as well and feared that everything he was doing would lead her to scold him now. "Mister Twinkle, if you would be so kind to explain to the class the rules in a more professional manner?" She said as she glances over to Rainbow Dash again, who only smiled nervously in return.

"Right..." Star Twinkle replied nervously, making sure to not say anything to make the mare scold him now. He walked over to the school board which thankfully had some prepared drawings on them to make the explanation easier for him. "It basically goes like this: You will all form teams. Each team will create their own flag carrying routine. Me and Rainbow Dash will watch your routines and share our opinion on it, as well as telling you if there is something to improve. And in three days, all competing teams will be accompanied by us so that you can show your routine to Miss Harshwhinny and the other judges of the Equestria Games. The winning team will then perform their routine in the opening ceremony of the Equestria Games,"