Epilogue

Surprise!

Sasuke's pov.

     Now I know how Mai felt when she was sitting in the waiting room all those years ago when I had freshly gotten Orochimaru's curse mark.

It's dreadful. Irritating. Almost unbearable.

All I'm able to do for her is merely nothing. I just have to sit here and wait, while knowing she is inside one of those rooms in critical condition.

And all I can do is hope that she makes it out alive, so we can be together after all these years with obstacles getting in our way.

I was the one to find her.

It was the most horrendous sight I've ever laid my eyes on; her lying flat against the dirt with those golden honey eyes ever so lifeless.

I had heard a man loudly groan, and a women's voice moaning out of pure agony.

The only reason I went to check out what happened was because I assumed it was rogue ninja's attempting to attack the leaf village.

The last thing I would have guessed was that Mai had been stabbed in the lower abdomen with a kunai smothered in poison.

The worst thing about it? She was trying to catch up with me. I can't help but feel guilty, immensely guilty that she could possibly die because of me.

In truth, I've always had a soft spot for Mai.

When we were little, she was the greatest friend I had, especially since her older sister was dating my older brother.

Training with her was always so fun and eventful, and then my brother massacred our clan.

After witnessing what I did at such a young age, I took upon my brothers words he spoke to me and lived vicariously with them always in mind.

That night, I had vowed to dedicate my life to get strong enough to kill him. To get my revenge and vengeance for my clan.

And that's all that I thought about. The moment I woke up. The moment I went to sleep.

That being said, I had no interest to have friends anymore. Even so, every time I passed Mai on the streets and got a glimpse of her vibrant blue hair and her stunning honey eyes, I secretly smiled.

Because it reminded me of my life before the darkness. And when she was around it was like she forced me to look back at the way things used to be.

And I hated her for it. I hated that she made me feel things other than anger and revenge. I felt as if she was a distraction from my life long goal.

So I avoided her. I spat rude and vulgar words at her so she would give up on trying to be there for me. So that I would have nobody, because I wanted to be alone. I needed to be alone in order to have enough hatred towards my big brother.

But it felt like she was always there. I had to see her at the academy, I saw her training, I saw her eating ramen with her friends.

And I hated her for it.

However, things began to change. I began to change.

Because we got put on team seven together. In other words; I would see Mai's face almost everyday.

That's when my feelings altered.

When I saw her with other guys, I didn't know what that feeling was or what it meant at the time, but it made me angry inside. What I was feeling was jealousy.