Chapter 26:forever

Mai's pov

"Good morning, sleepy head." I teased, watching as Sasuke slowly blinked his onyx eyes to adjust to the light shining within the hospital room. He then looked at me, his face warm and welcoming while he gazed upon me. My cheeks turned light pink, but I was to oblivious in the moment to notice.

"I get discharged today." His groggy voice stated.

"Yeah, and then Kakashi Sensei is going to seal that dreaded curse mark that psycho Orochimaru placed there." I cringed remembering the sight of the teeth biting his flesh and those haunting screams that emerged from Sasuke.

His eyes then widened at me, and I became confused, then realized my hair wasn't in my normal French braids. Nobody has really seen my hair messy and flowing free.

Sasuke brought his hand up and twirled a finger through a loose strand of my cobalt blue locks. "Don't worry. The curse mark won't bother me after Kakashi Sensei seals it."

"I'm just so glad you're okay." I spoke as my warm eyes welt up with threatening tears.

"Don't cry for me, Mai. I'm not worth the tears."

"Why would you ever say that about yourself? I care about you so much, Sasuke. You are the only person in this stupid world that understands me. All of me. You don't know how much you've helped me through life." A tear trailed down my cheek and Sasuke immediately wiped it off.

"You're too good for me." He lowly spoke. I began to grow more irritated at his remarks. Why does he think so negatively about himself? When will he realize that I'm with him forever?

"Stop that." I furrowed my eyebrows. He smirked and drew his hand away from my cheek.

"After I'm done with Kakashi, we're going to do something." He demanded, but I wasn't complaining. If I could, I would spend every living moment with him. What is this feeling? I thought he was my best friend.. but I think I'm starting to feel.. more..

"What do you have in mind?" I queried while smiling.

Sasuke sighed and moved his head so he was looking at the ceiling. "You'll see."

I couldn't help but to let out a chuckle. "Okay, Sasuke. I'll see, then."

"Mai?"

I turned to face him, his eyes still fixated on the ceiling. "Yes?"

He paused for a moment, closing his eyes and showing a vague smile. "Thank you. For everything."

My heart fluttered and my stomach started to churn. The feelings I'm starting to feel for him are different.. I don't think friends think this way.. or maybe they do if the bond is strong enough? That's it. He and I just share pain and have a strong bond because of it.

"No, Sasuke. Thank you."

"For what?"

"Oh, don't act this way when I already explained," I reached my arm over him and held him tightly. "I envy you, because you know pain just as I do. Yet, you use that to become strong. You've saved me from many mental thoughts I couldn't shake away. You stood up to my pathetic father. You don't find me annoying." I boasted. A smile creeping onto my pink lips at reminiscing all the times Sasuke made me happy.

Sasuke gazed at me with shock and disbelief at my words. Then, he warmed up and covered my arm with his own. He didn't need to speak to me for me to know he took in everything I said, and hopefully he will start to believe them.

We both started to drift off into sleep again when the door shot open, revealing a nurse with a clip board in her hand with a smile plastered on her face.