Chapter 10: stay away

Mai's pov

"What was Sasuke's deal the other day? I mean he's always in a bad mood, but it seemed like it was directed towards me." Shikamaru said as we laid together watching the clouds. This became a regular thing for us, and I was thankful to have a comforting friend.

"Honestly, I don't care what his deal is." I admitted and I crossed my arms behind my head to sturdy myself.

He seemed to drop the topic easily. "How do you feel about the academy?"

"What do you mean?" I asked watching a fluffy cloud pass by slowly.

"I just mean that I don't really know if I'm cut out to be a shinobi. I just don't want to disappoint my father, y'know?"

I sat up catching his attention. My lips curved into a kind smile. "You're insanely smart, that counts for something."

He returned a smirk. "I guess. Thanks, Mai."

We then laid in comfortable silence as we both looked back up at the blue sky.

Shikamaru nonchalantly scooted closer to my body. I felt his fingers tuck a thin lock of my blue hair that escaped my braids behind my ear. I didn't really think anything of it, other than a friend being gentle.

But his hand then wandered to my chin and softly squeezed it, turning my face so I was looking at him. I started to become sweaty and my heart was beating quickly. This is getting confusing...

"Shikamaru?" My eyes widened as he then began to lean in towards my lips. I thought we were just friends..?

A tug at my arm jolted me away from Shikamaru and I was forced to my feet. I gave the culprit a 'what the hell?' Look and furrowed my eyebrows.

"Sasuke?" I was puzzled to see that it was him who pulled me back from Shikamaru.

"Mai and I are kind of in the middle of something." Shikamaru said obviously bothered at Sasuke's presence.

"I don't care. Mai, come with me." Sasuke didn't question me but he demanded me too.

What could he possibly want? I will admit, I'm still dazed from Shikamaru's sudden affection towards me, because I just see him as a good friend.

"Fine." I don't even know why I agreed. The words just fell out of my mouth without my permission.

"What a drag. See you later then." Shikamaru waved goodbye and I waved back to him.

Sasuke's face was emotionless per usual, but he seemed angry and upset. I could tell he was just by the slight twitch of his eyes and corner of his mouth. It's the same as when we were young kids.

We silently walked along a dirt path in the woods. I don't have the slightest clue as to why he forced me to come with him, and he didn't explain it. He stayed quiet for about ten minuets until I reluctantly broke it.

"Did you need me for something? Why did you grab my arm like that and make me leave Shikamaru if you're just going to not say anything?" I crossed my arms and turned away from him. Being stubborn was my thing, and I wasn't going to continue walking until he spoke up.

I sensed him stop in his tracks and the tension between us was rising like somebody walked up a hundred cases of stairs.

"The Hokage said something that sparked my interest the other day. I never knew you had a forbidden jutsu." He pointed out flatly.

Crap.

"I.. uh.. well.." I bit my lip as I stuttered, not knowing what to say to him.

Sasuke turned around and glared at me. "You have people after you."

"Way to say the obvious." I teased, but my face became serious as Sasuke's cold aura enveloped me.

"Did you bring me out here just to interrogate me? Because if that's so-."

The sound of Sasuke's scoff cut off my words. "I wanted to tell you to stay away from me. You have to stay away from me."

Ouch. Not going to lie, hearing him say that actually made me a little upset. Why was he getting to me this much and why do I care wether I stay away from him or not?

"Last time I checked I already was doing that. I've been staying away from you since-."

Sasuke cut me off yet again. "Don't you finish that sentence. You don't get to speak out him or what happened. Got it?" His venom spat at me and it felt like I was burning under his words.

I stormed over to him and my short temper got the best of me. My two hands shoved Sasuke backwards as I pushed my irritation and anger onto him.

"You don't get to tell me what to do. You're nothing but a cold hearted person and I don't want anything to do with you, don't you see that?" I furiously yelled at him, and that stupid face of his stayed unbothered.

A cocky smirk danced on his pink lips. That fueled me up even more, but I realized that's just what he wanted. Instead of lashing out I counted to ten in my head.

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten.

"I hope someday you'll realize using your trauma as an excuse to be an asshole to other people who once tried to help you is the biggest mistake you'll make." I calmly said before walking away.

It's not a secret that he has been through a lot. But that doesn't mean that he can become so cold toward people. Does he really want to be alone that badly?

~

"Shikamaru told me that you and Sasuke hung out earlier. I didn't know you two were.. friends." Ino sounded sad and almost jealous. She stuffed her face with ramen as she waited for me to speak.

"We didn't hang out. All we do is fight. Why does it matter anyways?" I raised an eyebrow, my fingers twiddling with my wooden chopsticks.

Ino's face flushed. "It.. it doesn't matter! I was just curious why you didn't tell me, y'know."

I lazily shrugged my shoulders. "I didn't think it was even worth mentioning. Sasuke makes me exhausted."

I watched as my words bothered Ino. "You shouldn't say that about him." She defended while crossing her arms with sass.

I get it. Ino is one of Sasuke's fan girls. That's annoying, she is just going to take his side even if he is in the wrong. This is why I don't tell anything to anyone.

I breathed out heavily with annoyance and defeat. "Okay, sorry. Forget it."

She instantly cheered up. "Also, stop playing with your food! It's going to become cold before you even get a bite!" Her whiny loud voice bellowed at me.

As she mentioned it, I haven't taken a single bite of my ramen. I guess I still don't have a appetite, which I didn't see as a big problem.

As I walked home from Ichiraku I glanced at a small dock that was sturdily hanging over the dark blue lake water.

Sasuke was sitting there; alone. He just starred numbly into the distance as his legs swung over the edge of the dock.

Damn my kind heart. I feel bad for him. Maybe he's just misunderstood.. no. He treats me like shit.

But I can't help but feel bad.

~