Chapter 37:crumbling

"You need to inform me what happened out there the night your father was killed. Did you see who it was?" Lady Tsunade sternly asked.

Mai swallowed harshly, debating on wether to tell her the truth or not. If she does, Sasuke will be tracked down and most likely killed. Mai would do anything to prevent that. She wanted to keep Sasuke safe, no matter how much he's hurt her.

"The man was short, and wearing a black mask to hide his identity." Mai lied, trying her best to stay composed so that lady Tsunade doesn't suspect anything.

"Do you have any ideas on why he targeted your dad instead of you?" The blonde Hokage queried.

"The only guess I have is that he killed someone he thought was important to me, as a warning of some sort." Mai replied.

Lady Tsunade nodded before writing something down on a sheet of paper. Her eyes drifted back up to Mai. "How are you doing?"

The ice user bit her top lip. "I'm doing okay, no need to worry about me. I want to apologize for missing my mission."

Lady Tsunade warmly smiled. "You don't have to apologize. You saw something very traumatic. Now, I expect you to start missions back up tomorrow."

"Yes ma'am, I'm prepared." Mai faked a reassuring smile.

"You're dismissed."

~

Mai stood outside her old childhood home, taking one last deep breath before entering to find her mother. She locked all of her own emotions in a cage, deciding to put her moms feelings first.

Mai scanned each room for her mom, only to find that most of them were empty. There was barley ant furniture, and all of their things were missing. Becoming confused, Mai walked up the stairs to check her old room.

Pushing the door open, Mai smiled once she saw her mom lying on her old bed. She kneeled down next to it and gently stroked her moms cobalt blue hair, tucking a stray strand behind her ear.

Her mother's eyes shot open at the unexpected touch, widening as she saw her daughter sitting in front of her.

"Hey, mom. I wanted to check in on you." Mai softly spoke as her mom sat up.

"You were there.. why didn't you help him?"

Mai narrowed her eyes. "He was apologizing to me when someone came from behind and stabbed him through the heart. There was nothing I could have done."

Her mom frowned. "I see, and what are you doing here?"

"I don't want you to be alone. Maiko died and now dad's gone. You and I are the only ones left, and I want to make sure you're okay." Mai kindly replied, giving her a genuine smile.

Mai's mom's face became deadpanned, showing no interest for the young ninja's words.

"I have to leave Konoha. Forever." Those words hurt Mai's heart. She didn't want to lose her mom too. Her family is crumbling and all she wants is love. "I'm already finished packing, I just needed a small nap."

"Mom, please just listen to me. You can come live with me so this house won't give you haunting memories of dad and Maiko! You and I can form a bond again, and that way we won't be alone!" Mai pleaded as tears began to form in her golden eyes.

Her mother said nothing. She just got up from the bed and started walking downstairs. Mai sat there momentarily filled with sadness and disbelief, she didn't want her mom to leave. That would mean she really had no family left.

Mai jolted out of her old bedroom and quickly walked down the stairs. She turned the corner to see her mom putting on a backpack and grabbing two suit cases.