Chapter 33:anbu

Mai woke up exceptionally early, right at the crack of dawn. The peeking sun seeped through her black curtains brightly, causing her orbs to squint with slight pain.

After lying with her eyes open for a few minuets to get fully awake, she sat up while stretching out her arms, creating pleasurable sensations to tingle throughout her muscles.

Mai tends to become very grumpy and easily irked when she first wakes up. Two years worth of being alone and always on edge due to rogue ninja going after her caused this.

The blue haired ninja was dreading today. She planned on letting her friends know she was back, and then it was her first mission as an ANBU blackop member. The only part she was dreading was confronting her old friends.

Mai forced herself out of bed as she stumbled over to her backpack that was lazily tossed on the floor, half open with clothes pouring out of it. She rummaged through the miscellaneous pieces of mixed clothing, randomly choosing two articles before peeling off her pajamas and quickly changing. A simple thick black long sleeve shirt and baggy matching pants hugged her body.

Her steady hands then shoved everything in her backpack once again, but she grabbed two hair ties and a brush before zipping it closed.

The young anbu member plopped down on the seat that was facing her vanity, taking the brush and parting her cobalt blue locks down the middle. Taking her fingers, she took her time in braiding both sides of her long hair, making sure to tighten the braids after every cross.

Once Mai was satisfied, she longingly gazed upon her quiet bedroom. Everywhere she looked, Sasuke was there. Mai couldn't wait to get out of this house and into one of her own.

Taking one last deep breath, she stood up and grabbed her backpack, sliding both straps up to rest around her shoulders.

Without saying goodbye to her parents, she left her house to meet up with her blonde friend.

~

The only thing Mai felt right now was intense anxiousness. Her stomach felt upset, causing a nauseating feeling to rise in her throat.

Before she could walk into Ichiraku ramen, a familiar energetic blonde's voice screamed her name with befuddlement and happiness.

Mai bit her lip harshly, knowing exactly who it is. She quickly spun around, locking eyes with Naruto as he caught up to Mai, stopping a few feet in front of her.

She felt paralyzed everywhere, even her voice seemed to be sucked out of her. Mai didn't know what to say, should she apologize for leaving? Or is he not even angry?

Golden honey eyes widened with shock as the blue haired girl felt arms tightly snake around her tiny waist, Naruto's warm breath radiating onto her shoulder. He isn't angry? He's.. hugging me?

"I missed you. We all did, ya know!" Naruto exclaimed, letting Mai out of his warm embrace that filled her with nostalgia.

Mai craved feeling something other than numbness and anger, but, even her old blonde friends kind hug didn't make her feel anything. Nonetheless, she appreciated him not being mad or upset at her, so she forced somewhat of a smile.

"Are you heading to Ichiraku? Ino is supposed to be meeting me here soon. You could join if you want?" Mai monotonously suggested, trying hard to hide her true feelings.

Naruto grinned widely showing all his pearly white teeth. "I would, but I have a mission to go on!" He then raised an eyebrow at his blue haired comrade. "Wait, aren't you supposed to be coming?"

Mai's heart fell into her stomach, the feeling of all the oxygen in her lungs being sucked out of her was prominent. How could she explain to Naruto that she wasn't on team seven anymore? He was sure to be upset now.