Chapter 49:terrorist

Mai's pov

Tomorrow Taka and I are going to track down the ninja who want to kidnap me for my powers, and even though I want to feel ready, I'm still nervous.

I don't want anyone in the group to die on my behalf, yet my sister already stated that she would if It meant I would survive. I appreciate and love her for that, however I just got her back and the little sane part of me that's left would die along with her. I would be suffocated with darkness, never to return to light.

Thinking about the worst case scenario is what I do best, because of my anxiety. But, I don't want to believe that something bad will happen. Still, something doesn't feel right about the plan, and it makes my stomach churn.

"You okay?" Maiko questioned, interrupting me from my overwhelming thoughts.

I flashed her the best fake smile I could manage, "Yes. How far are we from the next hideout?" I asked, quickly changing the subject.

She nodded and replied, "Sasuke said not to long ago that we were half way."

I took a glance up at Sasuke, who then abruptly stopped walking as he spun around. His eyes bled red, which meant his sharingan had been activated. What's going on? Had the ninja's already found me?

My heart started to pump faster as I gulped. "Hey. What is it?"

Sasuke's eyes quickly moved side to side, probably gaining knowledge of how many opponents there are.

His eyes bore into mine, causing my chest to tighten and my stomach to churn. "Answer me!"

"Somebody is following us. Just the one." Sasuke finally informed.

I heavily sighed with relief. Taking on one ninja wasn't going to be difficult in the slightest, especially since we're a team of five powerful shinobi's.

"Let me use ice spears on whoever it is. That's a instant kill jutsu and I'm sure the unknown ninja will die because of it." I stated matter of factly.

Sasuke's lips curved into a downwards frown. "No. Don't be so reckless when you have no information on whoever that is."

My left eye twitched due to the irritation that was coursing through me. Sasuke Uchiha calling me reckless? That almost makes me want to audibly laugh out loud.

"He's right, little sister. That could be anyone." Maiko softly countered.

I shot her a glare and rolled my eyes. "Not you too, big sister."

"I'm with them. We need you for the mission tomorrow. Don't you want to battle the ninja who have been tracking you down for years? Well, you can't if you're dead." Suigetsu stated.

That's a valid point, but, I couldn't care less of their opinion on this matter. All of them are acting like there's a group of unknown shinobi lurking in the shadows. This is one person, who I'm more than capable of fighting even though I don't know who it is. I won't die.

"I see where you're coming from. However-."

"You are not fighting them!" Sasuke fumed, not letting me finish my words which made me grow angry quickly.

I stormed forward and stopped inches in front of Sasuke's face. "Do you not think I'm strong enough?"

His now darkened eyes burned through my golden pair, and I could easily see how furious he was with me, but I don't care.

"Mai, stop being so goddamned stubborn and just let it go." Sasuke spat.

No part of me wanted to just let this go. They're all taking this way too far, when it's just a singular ninja! However, starring into Sasuke's midnight eyes and seeing how serious he was, I decided to listen to him so there was no conflict between us two.