Chapter 56: accountability

Mai's pov

  Today was the last day Sasuke and I would spend together before his final fight with Naruto.

It makes me nervous and sick just thinking about it, because they both previously stated that if they were to fight..

They both would fall, together.

But, I have high hopes for Sasuke. I want to believe that he can easily take that hyper blonde who's fixated on us.

But, we've heard how well he's been advancing as a ninja. I hate to admit it, but Sasuke will have to give it his all to kill Naruto.

That's the reason why he and I have been laying low these past couple days. The most we have done was venture to a nearby town to get more supplies for the hideout.

The one thing that's keeping me going, is that if Sasuke lives, it will finally just be him and I with no more obstacles in our way.

"There's soup if you're hungry." Sasuke informed, snapping me out of my many thoughts as he walked in the room.

I vaguely smiled and nodded, which he noticed right away that meant something was wrong with me. Sometimes, it's annoying how good he can read me.

He sat next to me on the edge of the bed, the dip making me lean onto him, my body instantly becoming heated.

"What's on your mind?"

I hesitantly decided wether to lie or not, because I don't want him to think I'm underestimating his powers. But, it's just a fear of mine; Sasuke dying.

I cleared my throat, dazing into the dark hallway in front of me so I don't break if I look into Sasuke's eyes.

"Nothing, really. Just not hungry."

"Hn," Sasuke chuckled, I rolled my eyes realizing that he knows that I spouted out a horrible put together lie. "It's the fight, isn't it?"

Damn it, how does he know it's that? Who am I kidding, I've probably made it obvious but I'm too blind to notice.

"Yes." I sharply sighed, not wanting him to think I'm insinuating that he is weak compared to Naruto.

"What about it, is bothering you?" Sasuke queried.

My eyes screwed shut. "I don't want you to die! I mean, I know that you won't. But, a part of me just has this fear that you won't make it out alive! I can't describe it, hell I know it might sound like I'm belittling your strength.. but it's not that at all! I know how strong you are, but I guess.. I just..." After rambling my confession, my voice trailed off as I waited for his reply in anticipation.

I felt his arm wrap around me tightly, pulling me into his body. His embrace made me feel relief and content, my worries slowly diminishing with just his touch.

"I get what you are saying. But, I assure you that I will cut ties with Naruto."

I nuzzled into his chest and smiled. "Yes, yes. You're right. I'm sorry."

He gripped me tighter, and I glanced up at him to admire how handsome he was like this. My cheeks heated up, so I hid my face into his chest again.

But, the tips of his fingers traveled under my chin, forcing me to look up at him. The fingers on my chin trailed along my jawline, clutching roughly before yanking me forwards, making our lips smash together aggressively.

I instantly deepened the kiss, entering my tongue into his mouth as my hands gripped the back of his neck, my fingernails dipping deep into his creamy skin.