Chapter 18:stranded

Thank you all for 55 votes! To me that's crazy, since I thought this would get no attention! Leave feedback, or suggestions for things you might want to happen and I might make it happen! Sorry for rambling -M
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mai's pov

I stared blankly into the woods with my chin resting on my palm. Sasuke hasn't said a word to me for what it seems like hours. The air was starting to become chilly as the sun began to set.

Becoming rather annoyed at him, I decided to finally break the silence. "Kakashi Sensei and the other should be here soon." I attempted to reassure him, but, he stayed slouched over with a smug expression displayed on his face.

His silence was building my irritation up. I stood up off from the ground and walked over to where he sat, crouching down so my face was aligned with his.

"Earth to Sasuke?" I queried.

Blank stare. No words.

"God damn it, Sasuke! Just fucking say something!" I shouted, this time earning his dark onyx eyes to meet with mine. His once deadpanned face turned angry at my yelling.

"It's your fault we got in this mess!" Sasuke finally snapped, jolting off from the ground to stand up. I got up from my crouching position to glare at him.

"My fault? How is this my fault?"

"You and you're ice release! It's constantly putting everyone you associate with in danger! So many men want to kidnap you for this unknown boss!" Sasuke spat.

I stormed closer to him. "That isn't my fault! You think I chose to be born in a family with a forbidden ice release? No! Did you see what I did back there? Did you see what me, a genin, is capable of?"

Sasuke scoffed. "Save it. Don't act like your stronger than everyone else."

"That's not what I'm trying to say!" I screeched. "If I could chose to not have this power, I would! My powers not only scare people, but they attract people who Desire to have it!"

"Just drop it." His unbothered tone made my blood boil. Right now, I'm too far into a deep hole of rage to just "drop it"

"You don't get to tell me what to do! Why me Sasuke!? Why do you have a grudge against me!? I did nothing wrong to you! I was trying to be there for you when-."

"Dont finish that sentence." Sasuke fumed, stepping closer to me as his jaw clenched.

"When Itachi did what he did to your clan." I uttered, neglecting his demand for me to not continue my words.

Sasuke fisted my shirt with his hand, yanking me forward so our faces were inches apart. Out of instincts, I jumped and flinched at his sudden violence. My golden honey orbs jolted shut, and I titled my face away from him as far as I could.

The feeling of his tight grasp on my shirt loosened completely, and the noise of his footsteps walking away from me was enough to let myself open my eyes.

Sasuke stood in front of a tree, his hand clutching the bark out of his own rage.

"Somethings coming. Stay alert." His monotone voice spoke quietly.

My eyes fell upon a dog, which was a pug, and I shot it a puzzled look. What's a dog doing out here?

One the pug got to where I was sitting, heavy breathing could be heard from it. "How did a dog get all the way out here?" My question was meant for Sasuke, but the pug glared at me.

"I'm not just a dog. I'm Kakashi's summoning dog, Pakkun. Well, one of them. He sent me out here to find you guys. He has to head this way anyways, so I'm going to go back to him and lead them to you. So, don't move." Pakkun informed and I nodded with response. I didn't know Kakashi was able to summon dogs. The more you know.

"Can I have some water?" I hesitantly asked Sasuke. The tension in the air could be cut in half with a knife. I'm still furious with him, and he's angry with me. But, why?

I tried so hard to be there for him when he needed me, and all I got was a cold shoulder and nasty words from his mouth.

Without saying a word, Sasuke took off his backpack and tossed it at my feet. Was that really necessary? Why is he always so fucking rude?

I furrowed my eyebrows as I let out a heavy sigh. My hands grabbed his backpack and pulled out a water bottle, my fingers snapping open the top as I chugged the cool liquid quickly. A few water droplets dripped down my chin, and I wiped it off with my arm.

I placed the water bottle back in Sasuke's bag, zipping it up all the way. His back was still facing me and he was leaned up against the tree.

Anger was still present in me, so I threw the backpack at Sasuke's feet. Just like he did to me. The bag hit his heels slightly, and he spun around to give me a nasty glare.

"God, you're irritating." Sasuke lowly badgered.

"And you're not? You're even worse than me, Sasuke. Every single day you spat angry and rude remarks at me. And I did nothing to you! Absolutely nothing! Yet, I get treated like dirt under a rug! It bothers me," my teeth gritted with anger as I pushed myself off from the log I was sitting on. "The way you act towards me bothers me! Do you not remember when we were little six year olds playing outside and training with each other? Did all of that just escape your mind or something?" I rambled on, his face staying unmoved.

"You don't understand. You will never understand."

"Understand what!?" I shouted.

"You have a family! A sister who cares about you and loves you! And you want to be there for me? You think you get help me when you yourself has never endured real pain!?" Sasuke coldly vociferated.

I sat back down onto the log and sighed with defeat. My fingers rubbed my temple out of annoyance as I heard Sasuke plop down next to me.

My dad abuses me. My mother neglects me. My sister is dead. I have no real friends. You were the only true one, Sasuke. I understand pain. Even if ours is different, it's still traumatizing.

"We were six. We were young kids. That's all it was." Sasuke muttered, causing my heart to sink into my stomach. Why does that hurt me so much?

"I.. I..." My voice stuttered and then trailed off into nothing. Why was is so hard to come out and explain to him that I know how pain feels?

My golden honey orbs then glanced at Sasuke, and his dark onyx eyes linked with mine.

"I understand pain." I flatly stated. Sasuke looked away from me and scoffed.

"Sasuke," I said, earning his attention once again. "Maiko's dead."

~

vote ??