Chapter 58: end

Merry Christmas! Hope you all have enjoyed this story because unfortunately this IS the last chapter. Big thanks to all the readers who have voted/commented❤️

~

Mai's pov

  After Sasuke left my house Ino showed up a half hour later. She insisted that I go with her and a couple others to Ichiraku to get my mind off from him leaving.

Thank god for her. Being distracted is exactly the type of medicine I need right now. Parting ways from the one who I care so much about immensely hurts my heart. Especially since I had a choice on wether to join him or to stay back and focus on my new captain spot in the ANBU.

"Hey, we're here. Try to get your mind off of things for a while, ya know?" Ino kindly insinuated.

I nodded and forced a smile as we took our seats. Joined with us is Naruto, Sakura, Shikamaru and Sai.

This is what I need right now. Being surrounded by my group of friends who welcomed me back so easily just warms me. And they're exceptionally great at distracting people from their overwhelming thoughts.

"Hey, guys!" Naruto greeted beamingly.

"Hi, Naruto." I replied, voice low and monotone.

The group began to make conversation, jokes being thrown around here and there making them fall into a fit of laughter.

I tried my hardest to engage with them, so that they wouldn't worry about me. However, getting my mind off of Sasuke turned out to be more difficult than I had imagined.

Everything reminded me of him. And at this very moment I swear for a second I saw him sitting next to me in a flash- a smirk tugging on his lips as his ravenette hair blew slightly from the mild breeze.

But, in a instant, he was gone and was replaced by Ino now chowing down on her steaming ramen.

Mine was placed in front of me, but I found myself no longer having an appetite.

The only thing I feel is empty and alone. Even being with my friends- a part of me is missing. And that's because that piece of me is forever stuck with Sasuke Uchiha.

Maybe over time I would day by day get over his absence, but to be honest I don't see myself ever not missing him. Craving him. Wanting to be around him.

Shit, this isn't working.

"Mai, come talk to me outside for a second." Ino softly ordered.

I didn't want her pity, I didn't want anyone to catch on just how bad Sasuke leaving was affecting me. I had already put these guys through so much- and the last thing I wanted was for them to deal with my personal problems.

"I'm okay, I swear." I lied, thickly swallowing in hopes that my blonde friend would drop it.

To my dismay, she didn't.

"Let's go."

Taking my hand and basically dragging me out of Ichiraku, I had no choice but to oblige to her request.

Once we stepped outside Ino glanced at me. "You're unable to not think about him, huh?"

My teeth chewed the inside of my cheek. "I've been trying."

Ino smiled apologetically. "Want some advice?"

Truly interested in what she had to say, I nodded my head preparing myself for a hard truth to be spoken.

"I think you aren't doing what you want, rather you're doing what you believe you are obligated to do."

I furrowed my eyebrows, unsure what she meant by that. "What?"