Chapter 52:giving in

Mai's pov.

    Long dragged out months passed us by, laughing at us and mocking us for consecutively failing to find Kabuto.

It's pathetic, really. Taka and I have came across dozens of his followers, but they would not render where Kabuto is or any additional information.

And I'm pissed off. That's all I ever feel anymore. Pure raging anger took shelter in my veins, and dominated the rest of my emotions, squashing them into merely nothing.

I crave killing them so badly that it physically pains me, this one thing that I want and I can't have is driving me to the brink of insanity. And I'm not sure how much longer I can endure.

They have taken everything from me.

I have one thing left. Only one. And if they manage to steal that away from me too, I'm going to loose every ounce of control I have stored away. And I barley have any self restraint left as it is.

The light powdery snow has all melted away, and has been replaced with fresh blooming flowers. Warm temperate air has also taken over, making it more enjoyable to be outside.

My back is pressed against the front of the hideout building we've recently moved into, and my knee is slightly bent with my elbow resting on top of it.

I titled my head backwards as a wave of fresh air washed over me, making my cobalt blue hair dance within the wind.

The warmth of the air sunk into my skin, and that's when I took notice that the clothes I'm wearing are months old and look ragged.

My shirt has multiple tears and holes, along with dirt stains scattered all around it. My blue pants at this point turned a dirty brown color, and I cringed at the sight of me.

I mean, these clothes have been on me since I first was forced into Taka. But, the group and I have been swarmed with missions, and that being said we haven't had the spare time to worry about acquiring new clothes.

However, I think it's about time. The group and I haven't left this hideout in weeks because of the multiple failed missions to find Kabuto.

Sasuke hasn't given any commands lately, so that means I don't have anything to do until he comes up with a new plan.

Footsteps slowly approach me as a voice speaks up, "We need food."

I glance at Sasuke and nod. "I need new clothes as well." I inform as I stood up off the ground. "Want to run into the nearest town with me?"

Sasuke stoic expression soon lightened up. "Yeah, whatever. You do look filthy."

I playfully scoff and roll my eyes. "I know, you asshole. that's why I'm asking for clothes!"

"Ah, so I have to get you clothes?" Sasuke monotonously teased.

A chuckle escaped my throat. "I could always steal them."

Sasuke lips curved into a subtle smile, which caused heat to rise inside of my chest as a light shade of pink painted my cheeks.

I haven't really had the time or the mentality to think about where Sasuke and I stand relationship wise.

But, when he and I are alone and are able to joke around like this, my body gets sweaty and I can't help but feel warm around him. It's the same feeling when we were twelve, and it's the same feeling when we kiss.

It's not a secret that I like Sasuke more than a friend, it's just that right now the timing is wrong. We both have the same goals, and ninja are always trying to kill us.