Chapter 48:im with you

Mai's pov

  "Karin's really dead?" Suigetsu questioned.

I shrugged, "Yeah. You saw Sasuke do it." My eyebrows furrowed, "Why, are you upset?"

Suigetsu scoffed, "What!? Absolutely not!"

Maiko walked in the room with a smug expression, making me feel worried about her. I joined next to her and gave her a side hug.

"Everything alright?"

She glanced at me, "Just missing him a lot tonight."

I felt horrible for my sister, she lost somebody she was in love with. I know how it feels to loose somebody that you love, and it's the loneliest feeling in the entire world.

"Tell me a story about you guys." I suggested softly. Perhaps talking about positive and happy memories will brighten up her mood.

Maiko cracked a smile as tears brimmed in her eyes. "This one night Itachi and I missed you and Sasuke so much that we couldn't bear it anymore," she shifted so she was facing me. "We snook in the village a lot. But, I have one particular visit that is my favorite."

I became really curious and interested. "Tell me, tell me!"

She giggled before continuing, "Itachi and I were so used to seeing Sasuke and you bickering or ignoring each other. But, when we visited three years ago, we saw you guys having fun and acting like kids together." Tears trailed down my sisters face. "I was so happy that day, seeing you and him become friends again."

I couldn't help but widely grin at my sisters words, as warm memories of Sasuke and I at the age flooded through my mind.

Maiko nudged me with her knee and I gave her a questionable look, as she playfully raised her eyebrows. "You and Sasuke, huh?"

My cheeks turned crimson red as I remembered the make out session Sasuke and I shared yesterday. It still made my stomach flutter and my heart palpitate.

"Oh, don't be so embarrassed. I saw it coming since you guys were just kids." My sister admitted.

I bit my lip. "Sasuke and I aren't together. It's complicated I guess."

"Do you love him?"

Her sudden serious question momentarily stunned me. I haven't really thought about that before, wether I love him more than a friend or not. I did want to be more with him, hell, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to still be more with him.

But, mine and Sasuke's relationship is very complex and complicated. He's to distracted with hatred and revenge, and honestly so am I.

If I'm honest, that kiss we shared was most likely due to being stressed out and both of us just needed some sort of distraction. Sasuke doesn't have time for a girlfriend, and I'm sure he only thinks of me as a asset to his team.

I deeply care for him, and I always will until the day I die. And I truly believe that one day he and I will get a happy ending. But, that day won't come anytime soon.

"Mai?"

"He's important to me." I finally blurted out.

Maiko didn't seem convinced. "You know you can tell me anything. I am your sister after all."

"I know that!" I suddenly snapped, and after noticing my random outburst I immediately calmed down. What's gotten into me?

I breathed out heavily. "I'm.. I'm sorry big sister. I've been so stressed lately."

Maiko smiled. "Don't apologize. The world has been cruel to you for years. You deserve to be happy, little sister."

Her words made me fill up with warmth and light.
However, her comforting praises didn't linger long in my mind. Instead, they have been replaced with everything that's been happening to me. My memories reminding me of how ruthless I've truly become, especially after wanting to kill my old comrades. Everything happened so fast, and learning that my home turned out to be the real bad guy, that just makes it worse. I can't help but always think,