Chapter 4: new weapon

Mai stretched out her pale arms and groaned as she woke up from her deep sleep. The suns bright rays shined through her black curtains, causing her to squint her eyes.

Foot steps slowly echoed through the hallway, stopping once they made it to the door that connected to her room.

Mai sighed in response, quickly bracing herself for whatever her dad had in store for her this cold morning.

The door swung open revealing Mai's dad with his usual smug looking face.

"I have business to take care of for a couple days. You are to take it upon yourself to train, got it?" His stern voice commanded.

"Yes, father." The young girl obliged, not daring to go against his wishes.

"Your mother will make sure she calculates how long you train for, so no slacking."

"Okay."

Her father sends her a threatening look before leaving Mai to herself.

The young girl was good at what she does, and her secret ice release was just that; a secret. She was only able to fully train with her father outside of the village. Other than that, she practiced her wind style and shuriken/kunai skills. However, Mai wanted something she chose to be good at so she could have some decisions in her life that aren't her fathers.

The young girl quickly got dressed, but since it was a colder day outside she picked out a black long sleeve shirt that stopped above her bellybutton, a blue skirt with a slit in the front and tight black undershorts.

Mai sat down at her vanity and did her usual two French braids. She picked up her white bandages and wrapped them around her thigh.

Mai made her way down the wooden creaky steps and halted once she saw her mother drinking water in the kitchen.

An idea sparked in her mind.

"Mother," she started as she finished walking down the steps. "One of my kunai broke due to harsh training..." Mai led on.

Her mother raised an eyebrow as she took another sip of her water. "Here. Get yourself a new one, but if you break it again there will be punishment from your father."

Mai smiled and took the money out from her mother's hands. "Thank you!"

-

Instead of going straight to training, Mai wanted to take back some of her life that had been sucked out from her strict parents.

Her feet took her around the village, trying to find the shop that she desperately wanted to get to.

Once she got there, she smiled.

Her eyes briefly and curiously scanned through the weapons that were placed on multiple shelves and walls.

Then, something caught her eye. A long black shiny sword. Her interest peeked and the young girl desperately wanted to buy it and train to gain strength by herself.

So, she did. Mai walked excitedly to the training grounds alone, ready to start training herself and do what she wants for a change.

"Oh, it's you." A taunting male voice spoke catching her attention. Her face fell once she saw who the person was.

"Hi, Sasuke." She spoke quietly, not wanting to get into any confrontation since all she wanted to do was train with her new sword.

One of the ravens eyebrows raised slightly, his onyx orbs catching a gaze at her new weapon. "What do you think you can do with that?"

"I'd like to see your skills with it." Mai rudely replied, earning a small smirk from the raven.

"Hn. Whatever, but I'm training here so get lost." Sasuke said bluntly.

Mai's once good mood turned sour within seconds of being in Sasuke's presence. "No. There is plenty of room for many ninja, so deal with it."

"Oh! Sasuke! Mai!" A cheerful voice yelled breaking their rough tension.

Mai's braids flung to her back as she turned to face her giddy blonde friend. "Hey, Ino."

Walking slowly behind her was Shikamaru with his hands buried in his pockets. His face was the same as always, a bored expression displayed for everyone to see.

Mai sensed Sasuke's vulgar mood rise because of the classmates arrival. His eyebrows furrowed and he sighed heavily.

"We're you guys training together? I didn't even think the both of you were friends." Ino stated while placing a hand on her hip.

In unison, Sasuke and Mai yelled "Were not friends!"

Mai gave him a side eye and then rolled them. "I came here to train with my new sword and he happened to be here."

Sasuke huffed to himself while pulling out three kunai. "Later."

Ino's face fell. "Oh, okay Sasuke. See you later."

Mai grew curious as to why Ino wanted to be friends with Sasuke so much. To her he was nothing but a rude and annoying person.

"So, what's with the sword anyway?" Ino asked while her eyes still were stuck on the raven who was walking away.

Mai shrugged. "I wanted to try something new. Anyways, I should be off. Bye Ino. Bye Shikamaru." She waved to them and then spun around to find somewhere deserted to train.

"Oh, Mai! Shikamaru and I are going to Ichiraku's after. Wanna join?" The blondes voice was hopeful.

Mai thought for a moment, and the mention of ramen made her stomach groan. 'My dads not here, and I can tell my mom I was training all day.'

The blue haired girl turned her head slightly to catch a gaze of her friend. "Sure, I'll find you guys after."

After some walking, Mai finally found a spot suited enough for her liking. She breathed heavily through her nose before setting down her weapon pack.

"Okay, it's just a sword. I can do it." She said trying to convince herself she's able to master it.

Her steady pale hand reached behind her, placing it on the hand grip of the sword. Her palm squeezed it tightly while sliding it out from the sheath. The weight of the sword had a small toll on her arm, causing it to have some pain. But, she was to determined to have that little problem stop her.

Mai bit her lip, taking the shiny black sword and pointing it in front of her. She smiled.

'I like how this feels. I will train hard and I will learn by myself how to use it.'

After hours of training, Mai stepped back and looked at the tree which had several sword markings all along it. Her breathing was heavy, and she returned the sword into the sheath satisfied with her first day.

"Day by day I will take back my life."