Chapter 24:panic

Mai's pov

"Sasuke, are you able to stand?" I question him, my hands still gliding along his hair and back. I felt him nod into my chest.

I placed one hand on his abdomen to gently push him in a sitting position so it was easier for him to get up.

I changed my position to a kneel, grabbing Sasuke's arm and throwing it around the back of my neck. His hand gripped my shoulder tightly for support.

I slowly started to stand up, intently watching his reactions to make sure he wasn't in a pain. I then laced on arm over his stomach, and placed the other on top of his that was resting on my shoulder.

"Okay, let's head back."

We started walking to the leaf together, a comfortable silence falling upon us. I made sure to keep my guard up just in case Orochimaru or any other threats were nearby.

Sasuke groaned, and I halted to check on him. I hate Orochimaru. Sasuke doesn't deserve this. He will die by my hands.

I looked at Sasuke, his eyes were squeezed shut and his eyebrows were furrowed. Blue thick veins were popping out of his forehead, and his complexion was going pale.

I started to tremendously worry about him. I grabbed his hand that was on my shoulder and held it tightly.

"Hey, I'm here, okay? Once we get back to Konoha we can explain everything." I reassured him, my gaze never leaving his face.

Sasuke's eyes opened as they looked into mine. "Mai.. Thank.. you." He spoke through staggered breaths.

"Don't talk, Sasuke. Just walk with me so we can make it home."

He nodded with response as we started slowly walking again. Right now my top priority was making sure Sasuke gets back safely. Any ounce of anxiety or fear completely left my mind and was replaced with determination and strength.

Hang in there, Sasuke. I won't leave your side. I'll do anything to protect you from the darkness.

~

Sasuke and I finally made it to the front entrance to the leaf village. My body was aching from holding onto him, but I don't care about my health or any pain within me.

Everything was about Sasuke and making sure he was going to be okay. Thankfully, we ran into no enemies or that evil and fucked up Orochimaru guy.

I directed Sasuke to rest and sit down while I notify the guards at the entrance. I carefully helped him sit onto the grass filled ground and crouched down to align my face with his.

"Stay here, I am going to go tell them what happened so we can get you help." I softly explained and he gave me a slight nod with response.

My feet ran as fast as they could to Genma and some other guard I didn't know. Their eyes widened as they saw me frantically speeding towards them.

"Woah, woah. What's wrong, Mai? What are you doing out here this late?" Genma queried.

My breathing became heavy but I tried my best to catch it, I'm in a rush to get Sasuke proper care.

"Sasuke needs medical attention right away! And we need to explain things to lord third!" I assertively yelled at them.

Genma stepped forward. "Calm down. Tell us what happened?"

His response made my short temper emerge. "Calm down?! Sasuke just got attacked and you're telling me to calm down?!"

"Mai, I'm just trying to make sense of what happened. You're clearly freaking out-."