Chapter 32:back home

Mai stopped in her tracks as her and Kakashi made it to the front entrance of Konoha.

Her breath hitched and anxiety rose through her. Mai wasn't ready to return back yet, even seeing the front of the leaf flashed memories of Sasuke in her mind.

Nonetheless, Mai deep down knew that she just had to suck it up. Her feelings didn't matter anymore, she was a leaf ninja and was forced to return home from her two year long break.

Taking a deep inhale and exhaling her shaky breath, Mai kept walking along side her former Sensei. Her golden honey orbs scanned the people, food stands, shops, and houses.

Mixed feeling overwhelmed her. Familiarity sent her warmth, but then it was replaced with coldness after remembering Sasuke wasn't here waiting for her.

"Do you need me to walk you to the Hokage's office and then you're house?" Kakashi queried.

Mai lightly shook her head. "I can take it from here." Without a thank you or a goodbye, the blue haired shinobi made her way to Lady Tsunade.

She scanned everywhere to make sure she didn't run into her old friends yet. Mai wasn't ready to face them, she assumed that they all were angry she decided to leave the village for a while.

Mai crossed her arms and clutched tightly to her cream colored cloak, the frigid air sending shivers down her spine and creating goosebumps along her pale skin.

Pursing her pink chapped lips and letting out a deep exhale upon seeing the Hokage's office, she hesitantly walked inside.

The toasty warmth from the inside hit her skin, causing Mai to hum contentedly. She hated winter and the cold weather, especially snow.

Shizune then appeared from down the hall, her black orbs meeting with Mai's. Smiling wide, she opened her arms to embrace the blue haired ninja into a hug.

"It's good to see you again," Shizune boasted while releasing Mai from her grasp. "How was your break?"

Mai and Shizune started walking along together to Lady Tsunade's office. Mai lowered her head and bit her lip. "It was calming. Besides being targeted."

Shizune sent her an apologetic look. "Are you happy to be back?"

Mai didn't want to lie to Shizune, they really bonded when Mai was sick. Shizune was always there to converse with her and help with anything she needed. But, the young ninja didn't want to worry anyone else or burden them with her problems.

Faking somewhat of a smile, Mai replied. "It's good to be home."

Both women approached the door to the Hokage's main office. Having mixed feelings about seeing everyone again, Lady Tsunade was different for Mai. She envies the blonde Hokage and looks up to her, especially after she saved her life.

Mai clutched onto the metal doorknob and twisted it, a clicking noise emerging. She slowly opened the door and looked at Tsunade, who was focused on the paperwork placed in front of her.

Mai cleared her throat to signal that she was here, causing the blonde Hokage to drift her eyes up to meet with the blue haired ninja. Lady Tsunade's face instantly brightened up replacing the seriousness that once was plastered on her face.

She placed both hands on her desk and stood up, warmly smiling at Mai.

"It's nice to see you back. Did you enjoy your vacation?" The Hokage kindly queried.

"Yes. It was refreshing to get away for a while. It's also nice to see you too, Lady Hokage."

Shizune joined Tsunade's side and picked up some papers before walking over to Mai. "These are some papers you have to sign for-."