Chapter 11: training

Mai's pov

With my father being out on a two week long mission, I am able to do basically whatever I want. That is, unless my mother becomes suspicious of me and tells on me.

I didn't want to waste my time being worried, though. I have made plans to hang out with Shikamaru and train with him, but, the stunt he pulled the other day when he kept getting to close for comfort... I don't want that to happen again.

Shikamaru is a very nice friend, but that's all I can see him as, and nothing more. I'm not sure why, but, those are my feelings.

Don't even get me started on Sasuke Uchiha. He is always so rude to me and I'm becoming sick of it. He is making me believe that I deserve what he says to me, even if I deep down know I don't. Whatever, I'm done sulking and thinking about these things.

I pushed myself off from my bed and started to get ready to train. My outfit was a simple short sleeved blue crop top with a slit down the middle of it, and a pair of tight black shorts. I grabbed my bandages that were resting on my vanity and wrapped them around my upper thigh tightly. Lastly, the pouch which consisted of all my ninja tools was tossed aside lazily on my bed. I picked it up and attached it to the side of my shorts.

I redid both French braids to make sure that no loose strands were freely flying around and that the braids were tight and not messy and loose.

My new shiny black sword was hanging up on my wall proudly displaying itself. It has been tough figuring out how to use a sword all by myself, but I feel like I've been doing okay. My hands grabbed the sword as I threw it over my head so the strap laid perfectly on my shoulder and across my chest, so that the sword was shown on my back.

I ran downstairs and to my surprise my mother was cooking food in the kitchen. The whole downstairs smelt like delicious meat and freshly steamed vegetables, making my stomach growl with hunger pain. Too bad I'm already late for the training grounds with Shikamaru. Besides, I need to not eat so much if I'm going to be a fit and strong shinobi.

My mother gave me a slight glance, but she didn't say a word. The wooden spoon in her hand tossed around the hot and bubbling vegetables and her focus stayed on them.

Whatever. I didn't want her attention anyways. "I'm going to train, see ya." I told her but she kept quiet once again. God I swear this is where I got my anger issues from; my parents ignoring my presence or beating me up. There's no in between.

I dashed out the door and made my way to the training grounds as quickly as I could so I didn't make Shikamaru wait for me much longer.

Once I got there, I spotted Ino, Choji and Shikamaru all lying on the ground staring up at the bright blue sky that was full of white pillow-like clouds.

"You all tired out already?" I jokingly teased grabbing their attention.

Shikamaru sat up lazily and looked at me with almost... guilt in his eyes. Oh, him and I never talked about the other day.

Did we really need to talk about it, though? I surely didn't think there was a reason to bring it up again, it's the past now and it should stay there.

"Not at all, I could go on for hours!" Ino enthusiastically shouted.

Choji got out a bag of barbecue potato chips from his pouch and pulled it open with his hands, his mouth watering and his eyes in awe at the sight of his snack. Choji wasted no time before he filled his mouth with as many chips as he could before chewing them loudly; his lips smacking and crumbs swiftly falling from his mouth.