Chapter 30:failure

The Sasuke retrieval mission epically failed. The sound ninja were tougher than expected. Multiple fatal casualties occurred, including Choji and Neji being in critical condition. Thankfully, both of them ended up okay.

Naruto found Sasuke, however, apparently they fought but the Uchiha left. Mai caught up to them, but it was too late.

Naruto was lying down unconscious while Sasuke was speeding away, and Mai couldn't find the voice to scream at him. She felt incredibly betrayed and numb, at she couldn't picture The uchiha leaving a comrade this way.

Presently, it's been a month after the failed mission. Everyone who wasn't friends with Sasuke was going about their day happy, doing their missions.

Team 7 was suffering.

Sakura was sobbing everyday but pulled herself together and is able to go on missions.

Naruto has been angry and trying to find Sasuke every chance he gets.

Mai hasn't left her house.
~

Mai's pov

It seems pathetic being cooped up in your home after your best friend all most lover deflects from your home. It's embarrassing, even Sakura is out doing missions again.

But, a part of me doesn't care what anyone thinks. They don't know how much Sasuke truly meant to me.

A bunch of what if's have been flowing around in my mind every single day. What if I kissed him the night he left? What if I was smart enough to realize he was planning on leaving? What if I screamed at him, letting him know I was there. Would he have kept running? Or would he have stopped?

My index finger and thumb pinched the bridge of my nose out of irritation. I've been completely lost in thought and numb. No tears were threatening to release, not since the day I found out he left me.

I hate myself for even not blaming him. Sasuke went through something tragic, his own brother betrayed him and killed their entire clan, only to leave Sasuke alone.

He desired power to be strong enough to one day kill Itachi, and I understand why he was so fixated on doing that. However, I never thought he would stoop so slow and go with Orochimaru.

A light tap at my window tore me from my overthinking. Uninterested on whoever it could be, I slammed myself down into my bed and shoved my pillow over my ears to drain out the noise.

A faint creak and high pitched sound came from my window, and a thump caused me to jolt up and glare at the unwelcome person.

My drained golden honey eyes with prominent dark eye bags underneath rolled to the back of my head upon seeing my sensei.

The only visible eyebrow on his face arched. "You're going to be in trouble if you keep missing missions."

My teeth bit down on the insides of my cheek. "I know." I admitted, but right now I couldn't care less.

I then became angry at how he just thought it was alright to barge in my room without consent. "What are you doing here?"

"Sasuke is gone. Naruto and Sakura haven't accepted it either, but, both of them have been attending every mission. We have another one to find Sasuke, we haven't lost hope yet."

Neither have I.

I let out an exaggerated exhale. "He doesn't want to be found. We should give up." A lie. A straight lie, but if I say it enough maybe I'll believe it.

"I understand why you're mad and upset at him. You were the one always around him, did you know anything about it?" Kakashi queried, causing me to become offended.

"He was important to me. Do you honestly believe that I would just let him go to that creepy snake guy?" I threw my pillow at my wall due to emerging Ferocity. "No! Never in a million years!"

My voice started to strain and I became overwhelmed with defeat, so I relaxed. "Just leave me alone."

"As you wish," Kakashi spoke softly as he pushed himself into my window sill. He looked over his shoulder at me and smiled underneath his black mask. "Just a suggestion, you shouldn't push everyone away." Before I could retort, he jumped down from my window.

I shouldn't push everyone away? What has anyone here done for me? Yeah, I call Ino my best friend. Yet, she gets so jealous and angry for no reason. I can't tell her what goes on in my life because she wouldn't understand. Shikamaru got me into watching clouds and was good company, but he doesn't know me either.

The only person in this world who shares pain and comforted me was him. I feel more lost than ever, being here in Konoha without him is a living hell. My father will start beating me again now that the only witness is gone. Thoughts of Maiko and nightmares have been present again.

I'm nothing but alone now. And he knew that leaving Konoha would leave me alone. I want to hate him. I never want to speak with him ever again.

But, I still can't help but feel immensely bad for him. He's doing what he thinks is the right thing, even if that means leaving his only true friend behind.

I also don't want to admit that Kakashi is right, but he is. Being secluded in my bedroom alone with my thoughts of everything is driving me insane. I have to put on a mask of my own, a mask of happiness that hides my pain. For Naruto, and for Sakura. Being selfish isn't what I want to be, and it's what I've been.

~

"I'm glad you're back, Mai. How have you been doing?" The annoying pinkette questioned as we walked along the outskirts of the leaf village on a new mission.

It was a simple task if we didn't run into any problems. Team seven was to escort a man who visited Konoha back to his home.

Sakura's question lingered in my mind for a moment, leaving me to become silent.

"It was shocking, to say the least," I replied, keeping my longing gaze to my feet walking the dirt ground. "But, I'm okay now."

I felt Sakura's arm snake around me and I tried hard to not shove her off and to just accept her kindness.

"That's good." She simply replied, retreating her arm off from me.

Naruto then turned around but stayed walking. "Don't you worry, we will get Sasuke home!" The hyper blonde yelled, giving us a thumbs up.

I really hope so, Naruto.

But, I'm sorry. After this mission I can't stay here anymore. Being in Konoha without him is way to painful and I'm always remembering the things we did together.

I can't keep doing this anymore.

~

Sorry it's short, been busy with college:(