Chapter 19: an understanding

Sasuke's eyes widened as shock spread throughout his mind. "Maiko died?"

The blue haired ninja's face shot away from his. "Yeah. I told you, Sasuke. You don't know what goes on in my life yet you assume."

Tears began to form within Mai's soft honey orbs, but she still didn't let the raven see. She felt he would think of her as weak if he saw.

The Uchiha's face stayed unmoved, yet somewhere in him felt bad for the young shinobi. He felt her pain, since he has been through a lot himself.

He slowly brought his hand up close to her hidden face as his pale fingers lightly pressed against Mai's chin. Sasuke's fingers tightened and he moved her saddened expression to face him.

Mai's eyes screamed for happiness. The raven could tell just by staring at her beautiful golden-honey orbs that she had been suffering for such a long time.

Sasuke didn't realize it, but he let his face soften as he locked his onyx eyes with the Masaki that sat slouched in front of him.

Mai was submissive to his touch, as she thought it felt warm and welcoming. She never thought that Sasuke could have this effect on her.

Although the ravenette stayed quiet, Mai knew his touch was speaking for him. Simply because Sasuke never shows any attention to anyone like he is to her right now. The Masaki also concluded he didn't know how to comfort upset people, but he was at least trying.

Mai nuzzled her pale face softly into his warm hand, taking her palm and grasping the hand that was placed on her face.

The two were lost in the moment, but it was gorgeous. They both were sharing their pain just by entering each other's fixated eyes and their hands being intertwined while her face laid into them.

"I guess I don't actually hate you Sasuke." Mai broke the perfect silence, keeping her face comfortably in the ravens hold.

"Hn. Yeah, same."

A topic then sparked into the young Uchiha's head. "Mai, is it true you get bruises and cuts from training too hard?"

Panic started to surge within Mai. The young ninja didn't know what to say, should she lie? Or would Sasuke judge her and agree with her fathers punishments?

The raven easily noticed how uneasy Mai had looked after his sudden question. "Anyways, Kakashi Sensei should find us pretty soon. His ninja dog did not leave too long ago." He informed while changing the subject.

Mai nodded, realizing her head was still resting in Sasuke's hand and hers was grasped with his. She quickly took her head off of his palm, looking away so she could hind the slight pink that showed vibrantly on her pale cheeks.

Sasuke's face became serious again, easily ignoring the longing feeling of Mai's soft skin pressed against his.

"I'll go look out to see if there's any bad ninja nearby.  Stay near, okay?" Mai commanded as she stood up.

The Uchiha knew the blue haired girl was capable of taking care of herself, yet a pinch of worry formed in his head, which of course he quickly ignored.

"Alright. However, if you need me just yell my name." Sasuke teased as a smirk danced on his lips.

Mai returned a smile. "As if I'll need your help, Uchiha."

"Still, there could be ninja who want to kidnap you for your ice release again. So, stay sharp and no slacking off." Sasuke's intense tone annoyed the girl ninja.

She placed a hand on her hip and she let out a groan. "I'll be fine." Mai reassured.

"Hn. Also, listen out for me in case Kakashi Sensei and the others return while your gone."