Chapter 2: first day

Three years ago

Dark grey clouds formed in the disappearing blue sky. Rain was threatening to fall from above as Mai and her older sister, Maiko were hurriedly walking home from their afternoon training.

Maiko had been recently upgraded to a jonin, so she hadn't been able to see or hangout with her younger sister recently. So, today, she had decided to take her out to train for awhile. However, the weather had other plans.

Mai's sad eyes looked up at her older sister, who's hair was also a cobalt blue that fell past her butt, but her locks were currently soaking wet as the sky started to cry with rain.

Maiko noticed her sister's sad reaction, so she put on a smile. "Don't worry, Mai. We still have the whole day for us to hangout, alright?" Her cheerful voice reassured the younger girl.

Mai's French braids also started to become damp with the heavy rain, which made her uncomfortable.

"Big sister, could we get ramen from Ichiraku?" The younger girl's voice brightened after hearing her sister tell her they could still hangout.

Maiko gave a side smirk, "Hmm. Let's go home and change first, and grab jackets. Then I'll take you to get ramen!"

The younger sister nodded with contentment as the two continued on to their home.

Maiko and Mai reached their apartment, opening the front door to greet their parents.

"We're home!"

Their mother was the first to greet them with a large smile. "Welcome home, girls."

"I'm going to take Mai out to ramen. Don't forget tomorrow I have a important mission so I won't be home." Maiko said relying the information to her mother.

Little did the family know that next morning was the last time they would ever see the older sister.

-

Mai woke up the next morning remembering her older sister had a important mission to go on. She hoped that Maiko would make it home safely.

Three days pass.

Then six.

On the seventh, Mai and her parents received the dreaded and long awaited news.

"I'm very sorry to relay this information to all of you," The jonin who had came to the Masaki household spoke softly.

Mai bit her lip in anticipation, hoping this news wasn't bad or about her big sister.

"Maiko Masaki has passed."

The moment those words were spoken, Mai froze. Her mind felt numb and lost, but she didn't believe the jonin. Her sister was okay, and he was just lying.

"No, no she can't be," Mai's voice ached throughout the words she spoke.

The jonin gave his condolences, "I'm very sorry for your loss. The village lost a very talented shinobi."

Mai's head started to ache, and her golden honey eyes started to sting with tears trying to escape. "Maiko is... dead?"

The young girls parents grabbed each other, pulling in for a long hug with sobs escaping their mouths. Her mother's cries were torturous and filled with pain.