Chapter 15:first mission

Mai's pov

It's been three days since Kakashi Sensei gave us the bell test, and to be honest at first it was a whole shit show. Naruto got tied against a wood pole, me, Sasuke and Sakura were unable to grab the bells numerous times. Eventually, we ended up giving Naruto our food and I guess that's what made us all pass. It was a test to see if we showed any teamwork, and at the end of the day we did.

Today was our first official mission of being on Team 7, and I was filled with a bundle of nerves on top of being excited.

I shook my thoughts and walked over to my dresser to pick out today's outfit. A long short sleeved dress-like top that had a slit on the front and back, and a pair of black shorts.

After I got dressed I plopped down at my vanity and did my signature French braids. My eyes scanned my features as I became lost in my mind.

When my father isn't home it's like everything becomes somewhat okay. I don't get daily beatings and wonder why I'm such a burden to him. My mom says rude things to me and doesn't help when my father beats me, but other than that it's like she isn't here. There is living with the pain of my dead sister, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss her tremendously. My parents wouldn't hate me. I would have my best friend back, and I would have Itachi. And Sasuke and I would be happy friends. Crazy how this world works. Especially to people who don't deserve the things they get. I was just a little girl living everyday to the fullest. If only my blue butterfly was here.

I sighed to myself and slapped my forehead. Stop sulking. At least your alive.

I grabbed my pouch which consisted of my tools and then headed downstairs. The kitchen was absent, my mother was probably still asleep. Missions tend to start earlier than the academy did, which threw off my sleep schedule a bit.

Once I got outside my eyes widened to see Sasuke with a smug look plastered on his face and both hands in his pockets.

I started to discreetly walk beside him so he didn't lash out on me for no reason. We were on the same team now, after all.

My honey eyes glanced at him slightly and it seemed his once smug look faded into his normal straight face.

"It's warm today." I idiotically said, pointing out the obvious hot weather. Really? Out of everything I chose to talk about the damned weather?

His face stayed looking straight. "It does seem that way."

This is awkward.

Thankfully we stumbled across Sakura and Naruto's loud bickering. Like always.

Sakura's green eyes then looked at Sasuke and she immediately dropped whatever she was yelling at Naruto and ran to him.

Her small hands wrapped around his arm and she nuzzled the side of her face on him. How obnoxious. Sasuke then become bothered and annoyed as he snapped his arm out from her touch.

"Where's Kakashi Sensei?" I observed our surroundings and he was nowhere to be seen.

"He's late! His students got here before him!" Naruto blurted.

"Sooo Sasuke!" Sakura gushed. "What do you think our mission will be?"

Why is she even trying to get him to like her? He's states so many times he isn't interested. Wait.. why am I so bothered by this?

I crossed my arms and huffed. It's the first day and Sensei is late, Naruto is too loud, Sakura won't stop trying to get Sasuke's attention.. this is team 7.

"Oh hey, it's Kakashi Sensei!" Naruto's loud voice yammered.

He slowly walked over to us while his eyes were glued to his perverted book he always is reading. His glanced up for a moment at us.

"Hey guys, got lost on the path of life." Sensei uttered his horrible excuse.

"What's today's mission?" Sakura questioned.

"We are escorting a man to his village. Since he isn't a ninja it's our job he stays safe during his walk home." Kakashi informed finally shoving his book into his back pocket. "He is waiting for us at the front. Shall we go?"

~

So far this mission hasn't been too bad. We were currently walking to our destination with a boy who was about two years older than me. He had short brown hair and vibrant blue eyes. He had come to the leaf to deliver something to lord third, we weren't told much about it though.

Right now it was my turn to stay on guard and closely watch behind us for potential sneak attacks. Kakashi Sensei and Sasuke took up front while Naruto and Sakura scanned the middle.

"I'm Kai from the village hidden in the mist. What about you?" The boy broke the silence and I warmly gave him a smile.

"I'm Mai. Why didn't someone from your village tag along with you?" I curiously wondered.

His lips curved into a grin. "I'm honestly not sure! I was just sent to the leaf to deliver something to your Hokage."

I nodded. "What's the hidden mist like?"

Kai bit his lips before replying, "Pretty boring. I like going out on missions to see other villages. I enjoy traveling to new places."

"This is my first mission, and I am enjoying this walk. I always find myself wandering aimlessly around my village."

"It's calming, isn't it?" Kai implied.

"Yes! Especially when you want to let go of your thoughts. You just look at the beautiful trees, sky, clouds and overall scenery." I mused.

I like Kai already. He's a person that's kind and is so easy to converse with. Even though we had just met, we're already talking.

I glanced at him warmly and his cheeks turned crimson red and he itched the back of his neck. "Ya know.. you have really pretty hair." He complimented.

Does he really think that? Nobody has ever told me that before.. Kai really is a nice person.

I couldn't help but let loose a genuine smile at him and I caressed my French braids. "You really think so?"

Kai reached over and grabbed my left French braid and glided his thumb over it. "Yes. Never seen such a color like this." This time my face turned crimson red, which I never reacted like this to anybody before. I guess it's the first time I've ever been complimented.

"Kakashi Sensei said it's my turn to watch the back." A deep bored voice interrupted. It was Sasuke.

"Okay. Let's go, Kai." I reached to grab his arm to pull him with me but Sasuke cleared his throat earning my attention.

"Kai is with Kakashi." He stated. Fantastic.

"Oh, okay. Hopefully we can talk more, Mai!" Kai beamed and smiled before walking to join Kakashi.

"Why did he switch you and Kai?" I asked crossing my arms.

"Hn. You think I know that? I took his orders."

I looked up at Kai greeting Kakashi Sensei, but he seemed confused as to why Kai had joined him, which led me to become confused.

Nonetheless I shook it off and continued scanning the area for any enemies.

~

vote?