Chapter 16:hotsprings

Mai's pov

"Seems like we're the only two awake." I imply to Kai as my eyes scanned our sleeping comrades. We decided to stay the night in the woods tonight, and tomorrow we get to relax at a hot springs, which I'm excited about.

"Not tired?" Kai questioned as I picked up a stick to twiddle with.

"Kind of, but I want to stay awake." I replied, twisting the stick with my fingers.

"You want to make sure no enemies come." Kai lowly assumed; and he was right. I want to make sure nothing happens when I'm sleeping, because I will be of no help.

I sighed while glancing up to meet his blue eyes. "Yeah."

"That's nice of you, especially since it doesn't seem like you and your teammates get along well." Kai indicted, earning a small grin from me.

"I feel the the odd one out. I don't really click with any of them."

"Do you want to click with anyone in your squad?" Once those words left his lips, one person came to mind. Sasuke. Damn it, why did I think of him after Kai said that?

I hesitated before answering, "I don't know." A heavy sigh left my throat as I tossed the stick that I was fiddling with into the woods.

For somebody who claims to dislike Sasuke, my brain thinks of him a lot. And it's pissing me off that I can't figure out why. Is it because I'm reminiscing the past we shared as kids? Is a part of me hoping him and I could be that way again?

"Deep in thought?" Kai's kind voice interjected. I snapped my attention back to him and my honey eyes met with ocean blue.

"No, just admiring the scenery," I lied.

Kai chuckled to himself before he spoke, "You were admiring the dirt?" I couldn't help but laugh with him at myself. I really am dense sometimes.

The sound of leaves crunching and twigs snapping alerted me instantly, my hand reaching into my pouch as I grabbed a cold kunai knife and pointed it into the direction of the noise as I leaped in front of Kai.

"Chill out. It's me." The moonlight glistened on the persons face; revealing it to be Sasuke. I sighed in relief as I returned my weapon into my pouch.

"I thought you were asleep." I said in a confused tone.

"I heard both of your laughs from where I was sitting, you ought to be quiet if you don't want us to die." Sasuke nastily said as he ignored my question.

Irritation built up inside me. "I was keeping watch, nothing was going to happen."

"Hn. You should go to bed. I'll take over." Sasuke rasped, his midnight eyes burning through my golden honey ones, like he meant it as a demand and not a suggestion.

"Kai and I were having a conversation and-." I started to defend myself, but, Sasuke cut me off before I could finish my sentence. That always gets me so mad.

"I don't care. Go to sleep." His demand boiled my blood. He can't tell me what to do.

Sasuke groaned. "You need rest in case things go south." His voice was softer than before, and it snatched the anger right from my body.

I sighed with defeat, glancing down at Kai who was awkwardly kicking rocks with his feet. "Goodnight, guys. Kai, try to sleep soon ya know?"

Kai smiled warmly at me. "I'll be right behind you."

For some reason, my eyes desired to look at Sasuke one more time. I swore I saw him roll his eyes as Kai spoke, but, it's too dark for me to be sure.