Chapter 23:curse mark

(This story is different from the show in storylines a little bit, so in this Sasuke doesn't get the curse mark during the chunnin exams)
~

Mai's pov

   I woke up to the sun bleeding through my curtains. My eyes blinked a couple times so I could adjust them to my surroundings.

Sasuke laid next to me covered in my blankets, soft snores escaping his nose. I couldn't help but let out a smile at watching him soundly sleep.

Life is really a rollercoaster. Sasuke and I were best friends, then we hated each other, and now we're back to friends. It makes me happy that I got him back, and to be honest, he is the most important person in my life. He protects me and cares about me, even if he doesn't want to admit it, and even if he doesn't think he does.

Sasuke went though so much at just a young age. Seeing your own brother kill your whole entire clan, but to just leave him alone, that's cruel. I never expected Itachi to do something like that, he always was kind to me and took great care of Sasuke. He loved Maiko too, at least I thought he did.

Whatever, I'm just happy that I can help Sasuke now. He deserves somebody in his life that won't ever leave him. And I never want to leave him, no matter what happens.

Pounding on my bedroom door shook me away from my thoughts, anxiety pulsing through me. I lunged over to Sasuke and tried shaking him awake, but he just groaned and kept his eyes closed.

"Sasuke, wake up!" I whisper yelled to him, but, still nothing.

"Mai! Who are you talking to?!" I heard my father scream from the other side of the door, causing me to panic.

I shook Sasuke again and lifted his eyelid as he widened his eyes, finally awake.

"What are you doing?" He asked groggily, rubbing his head.

"My dad, I need you to-."

My head jolted towards my door as my Father threw it open. He looked furious as his evil eyes met Sasuke's body.

"It's not what it looks like, I swear!" I defend.

My fathers jaw clenched as he stomped over to the bed. "Sasuke. I want you to get the fuck out of my house and stay away from my daughter!" He spat.

I gulped.

Sasuke looked unbothered as he got off from my bed. "She doesn't need to stay away from me. Mai needs to stay away from you."

"What did you say to me? I care for her!" My father lied through gritted teeth.

"Hn. And that's why you beat her? Kick her? Cut her? Punch her, and-."

My father stepped forward, forming a fist with his hand. "You better shut your fucking mouth, boy!"

"And treat her like shit? You're a pathetic excuse for a father. Here's what's going to happen," Sasuke also took a step forward. "You are going to stop abusing Mai, or I'm going to tell lord third what goes on behind closed doors." He threatened. I proudly smiled.

My fathers face stayed angry, but he undid the fist he made and heavily sighed. "Mai, sweetheart." His tone softened and he walked over to me, gently stroking my face with his fingers. I instinctively flinched at his touch; expecting a punch or slap. Why was he putting on this act when Sasuke and I both know he's violent?

"Don't touch her!"

My father shot him a glare before looking into my eyes. "Honey, you know I love you."