Chapter 29:departure

Sasuke's restless eyes shifted their spacey gaze to focus on the sound asleep Mai. Her face was still, small breathing sounds escaping her small nose.

He silently admired the girl while she slept soundly and comfortably.

Her medium length vibrant cobalt blue hair stood out the most to Sasuke, he wouldn't admit it but he liked her hair.

Regret crossed his mind for only a moment, knowing that if he chooses to leave the village Mai will be left with her abusive parents and fake friends.

However, the darkness and hatred that engulfed his heart was greater than how he felt for the young ninja, unfortunately. Sasuke hated how his vengeance possessed him into thinking like this. If he could, he would stay.

He decided to deflect just the other day when four sound ninja managed to get into the village. They cornered him and filled his mind with multiple reasons why he needs to seek out Orochimaru. They talked about Itachi, and showed him the surging power the curse marks grants the people with them. Sasuke was already dead set on killing his older brother, and his mind was in a dark deep hole of vengeance and hatred. Because of this, the sound ninjas persuasion migrated into him, eventually convincing Sasuke that it was the only way to truly be strong enough to avenge his clan by taking out his brother.

This also made him think that any sort of friendship or relationship made him weak and was dragging him down. Sasuke has been grateful for Mai and everything she had done for him, but his mind was to scrambled to think coherently. He needed to kill Itachi, and the way Mai has been making him feel made the raven worry that she would convince him not to kill his older brother.

The raven was frightened Mai would try to interject and convince him to stay, because if he saw her pleading soft eyes he wouldn't know how to leave her like that.

His cold pale hands slowly and hesitantly moved to meet with Mai's resting face. The ravens onyx orbs stared in awe at her as she slept, using the tips of his fingertips and softly gliding them along her skin, then to her locks.

Sasuke sighed, retreating his hand away from Mai and shifting his weight onto his back staring blankly at the white chipping ceiling.

"Mai, thank you for everything."

The ravenette pushed himself off from the bed, breathing out heavily before gathering his overnight bag and sliding his sandals on.

His feet slowly brought him to Mai's window. As he was about to leave, his feet betrayed him and stopped walking almost as if he had become paralyzed.

The first instinct Sasuke had was to turn around one last time. His longing eyes met the blue haired girls body, watching her lie comfortably in the bed.

His eyes squinted shut, forcing himself to suppress the emotions that were begging to come out from far inside of him. They opened abruptly, almost as if the raven had turned off a switch.

His cold toned facial expressions returned, and this time he did not hesitate as he made his way out into the dark night, never planning to return to Konoha ever again.

~
Mai's pov

The sound of my alarm clock blaring throughout my room jolted me awake. My honey orbs felt heavy and they desperately begged for me to close them again. However, I had lots of training to do today. I've been getting really good with my sword, and my ice release is progressing too.

I let out an audible yawn while sitting up slowly and stretching my arms out. Even thought I was extremely groggy from just waking up, something felt wrong. The slight noises Sasuke makes when he is asleep weren't present in the air. The warmth that radiates off from him and latches onto me was not there either. Maybe he woke up before me, which isn't usually the case. He could be in the bathroom.