Chapter 57: our sins

Mai's pov

One year later

Echoing footsteps trudged along outside of my cell, reaching closer to me every step. Voices could be heard, but I couldn't piece together what they were talking about.

I sat up, readying myself for whoever this visitor could be. My middle length cobalt blue hair swept over my shoulders and rested on my back, tickling my bare shoulder blades that were exposed because of the black tank I was wearing.

The dark lit hallway didn't reveal the persons face to me, and all that could be heard was the key being inserted into the slot before the cell door creaked open, emitting  a high pitched eery sound that pierced my ears.

The unknown person crouched down, his face now being leveled with mine, revealing himself to be my former sensei.

It's been a long time since anyone has visited me. To be honest, I wasn't expecting any of my old friends to want to visit me; a traitor and terrorist who betrayed the village and them.

Sakura visited me only three times, but, Naruto on the other hand came to see me multiple times that I became annoyed with his persistence. Not that I didn't appreciate it, though. It was good to see a familiar face after being in a small room all by myself with absolutely nothing to do but be with your own thoughts.

Speaking of, being locked up has forced me to focus on why Sasuke chose to defend the leaf village and come back to it.

After continuously thinking about his words, I have finally come to fully understand and realize what he meant.

It's made me love Konoha just like I did before I joined Taka. And I didn't notice how much I've missed this village until I came back.

Even if I'm in a cell, I still feel like this village could be my home once again. And this time, I will have Sasuke here with me.

I'm constantly worrying and thinking about him, and how he is doing being locked up. I wonder if he is regretting coming back, but, knowing him like I do, he is atoning for the sins he committed.

This had to happen, serving our time in jail I mean. Sasuke was right, he and I were too lost in darkness and became driven only by rage and revenge.

We lost our humanity countless times. Remembering what happened during my time in Taka, there's numerous things that I'm extremely guilty and regretful of.

I can't take any of those horrible things back, but I can go through my punishment and try to forgive myself for them. And I will be sorry for the rest of my life.

"So, I guess I'm the sixth Hokage now," Kakashi informed, snapping me from my thoughts only to become shocked, but happy for him.

"Wow, congratulations Kakashi."

He arched a brow and stood up. "Now that I've been named Hokage, it's up to me who stays in jail and gets released."

Kakashi motioned for a guard to join us in my jail cell, and attached to the man's hip was a thick ring with multiple keys dangling from it.

Was he.. going to let me out?

"Now, I feel like you've served your time. And I believe that you are no longer a enemy of the village hidden in the leaves. That being said, guards, release her."