Chapter 8: complications

Mai's pov

I woke up to the slamming of my front door. I gritted my teeth from the soreness that I felt throughout my cheeks. I lazily got out of bed and walked over to my dresser to pick out an outfit for today.

My brain still felt fuzzy and it was like I couldn't properly feel emotions anymore. I'm use to my fathers abuse, however this time I'm letting myself sulk. It was like the piece of me that was desperately holding on to hope was shut off light a light switch.

Whatever, I don't care anymore. He can do whatever he wants with me from now on. He does anyways, I just won't put up a fight or cry.

I quickly changed into a blue short sleeved crop top and a black skirt with a slit down the middle, and some spandex black shorts underneath.

I took a seat at my vanity and did two French braids on my cobalt blue hair. My eyes scanned my face and I noticed a purple and blue bruise on one cheek and a small scratch on the other. Whatever. I took out my white bandages and wrapped them around my thigh.

After that, I walked downstairs and was greeted by my tired looking mother. She was preparing some breakfast and washing the dishes.

I pulled out a chair and plopped down on it as I waited for my meal to be served.

To my surprise, my mothers never beaten me. Although, she thinks it's okay if my father does and she supports his way of discipline. That's why I also hate her too.

She placed my plate of food in front of me and her eyes glanced at my beaten face. As I met a gaze with her, it looked like there was no life left in her either. A ping of braveness pulsed through me and I cleared my throat to gain her full attention.

"Does father do this to you too, mother?" I questioned.

She walked back to the sink and got a sponge submerged in soapy bubbles. Her hands began to clean a dirty plate. She's ignoring me.

"Answer me!" I snapped, expecting her to get angry and lash out on me, however she stayed unbothered washing dishes.

My stomach began to feel uneasy and my appetite diminished. Probably due to the immense rage that was building up inside me.

I slammed both hands down on the wooden dining table and without giving her another look I stormed out of the front door.

~

Classes today were draggy and boring. I was currently sat next to Shikamaru and he already was dozed off, per usual.

I started to stare off into space and ignore whatever Iruka Sensei was blabbering about. My eyes scanned the room and they stopped when I met with dark onyx orbs. Sasuke's dark orbs.

He showed no expression, yet he continued on gazing at me. What the hell is his problem? Why is he fucking staring at me?

I decided to be equally as irritating and I rested my chin on my palm, not letting my golden honey eyes leave his.

To my surprise, it didn't seem like he was angry. But, it was always hard to tell what the hell emotions he was feeling since he always kept a straight face.

"Ah, Mai! Want to come up here and answer this question?" Iruka asked but demanded which snapped me from my stare at the annoying Uchiha.

It was a good thing that I already knew about chakra control and focusing chakra on different parts of the body, because that was the gist of the problem.

I walked silently down from my seat and picked up the white chalk. I wrote down the answer next to the question and placed the chalk down as I dusted the leftover white powder off my hand.