Chapter 12: haunting past

The room's silence was too loud. High pitched ringing and muffled voices were the only noises present to the young girl, who sat obediently as a death box with her older sister was carried out by four jonin who happened to be her teammates and Sensei. Silent sobs and cries made the young girl's heart hurt without physical pain being the cause. The room felt suffocating and ominous, the young girl found it desperately hard to breath, as it felt like no air was sucking into her lungs. Her throat made wheezing noises and her pale hand flung to her chest as she fell to the ground, gasping for oxygen as Her Golden honey eyes which had warm and welcoming colors in them were being replaced by dark and coldness. The young girls mother was to occupied with herself to pay attention to her youngest and now only daughter as she struggled to breath on the ground. Her father only sighed heavily as he became easily annoyed with his heartbroken daughter. Stares and condolences were being spoken to them as her father picked her up by her arm; dragging her into the bathroom. His rage and vicious discipline begun that day, and they haven't stopped since.

Mai's pov

I rolled over in my bed as my blaring alarm clock jolted my eyes awake. My body stayed tired and exhausted, however, I had classes today. I reached over to the repetitive ear raping alarm and slapped the button to halt the screeching noises.

I groaned as I lazily sat up, my spine sore in the process of straightening my back. My arms stretched out widely as I let out a audible yawn.

My blue hair that fell just past my breasts was frizzy and loose strands danced everywhere. I forgot I took my braids out last night and decided to not shower.

I groaned and walked sheepishly to my vanity and plopped down on the chair. I opened the right drawer that had my purple hair straightener I never use in it. Today, I would desperately need to put this to work.

Strand by strand the Smokey heat of the straighter made my locks vertical with no curls or waves visible. Good thing I never got rid of this thing. After every piece was straight, I then did my signature two French braids hairstyle.

My feet dragged me to my dresser as I rushed picking out my outfit today. A regular dark green short sleeve shirt that stopped just above my abdomen, and a pair of black shorts. Per usual I wrapped bandages around my thigh and made sure to grab my ninja tool pouch before heading to the academy.

When I arrived I immediately found Shikamaru and stood by him, Ino, and Choji. They were talking about a forced dinner that their parents were planning since they were all good friends.

"I'm on a strict diet! I can't be eating so much food! I was going to have a salad for dinner!" Ino's loud whiny voice yelled.

"Give me a break," Shikamaru rolled his dark brown eyes. "My mom always brings a salad to our dinners." He confirmed.

"You're missing out on all the meats, Ino! I guess that's just more for me!" Choji snickered as he pulled out barbecue chips from his school bag.

Ino sassily crossed her arms and huffed. "What-ever! I guess I have no choice then."

"What a drag," Shikamaru grunted as his eyes then met my presence. "Oh, what's up Mai." He greeted me.

Ino leaped at me and started pulling my arm to drag me away from Shikamaru and Choji. She seemed in a rush and desperately wanted to speak to me alone. I wonder what I did wrong now.

"I swear I wasn't following you, but I just happened to be out on a late night walk after a rough day of training," Ino squeezed her eyes shut and formed a fist with both hands. "You were at Sasuke's house. And.. you told me.. you guys weren't friends.." Her voice trailed off as she started stuttering.