Chapter 13:exam day

Mai's pov

   Today was exam day, and for some reason my body nervously woke me up an hour early before I usually get ready for the academy. My palms were sweaty and my anxiety was stacking like layers.

I am confident I'll pass, but I guess nerves are normal when you have a big thing that makes or breaks your future. I could always take it again if I fail, but I won't be with Shikamaru or Ino.

I got up off my bed and headed over to my dresser. I picked out my usual combination; a blue tank top that matches  perfectly with my hair and a black skirt with a slit down each side of it with black shorts hiding underneath.

I plopped down at my vanity and took my time in assembling my two French braids. I wrapped bandages around my thigh and attached my weapon pouch to my shorts.

The clock read six thirty, meaning I still had about an hour and a half before my exams start. Not wanting to just sit here anxiously, I decided to head to the training grounds and practice my shadow clone jutsu as well as kunai practice just for fun.

I walked down my stairs to see my mother sitting alone at the dining table with her face buried in her small hands. Curse my kind heart.

"What's wrong, mother?" I forced myself to sound as nice as possible. Her face stayed in place not leaving her hands.

"Isn't your exam today?" My mother asked dodging my question.

"Yeah, got up early and decided to practice." I answered, pulling a chair out and taking a seat next to her.

Her dull yellow eyes then looked up at me. Her lips cracked a small smile, which stunned me. I haven't seen her show a smile since Maiko passed away.

"Do good, okay?" My mother mused while she stood up and started doing the pile of dirty dishes.

I was taken aback for a few minutes, simply because my mother hadn't shown any emotions to me or said words of encouragement in such a long time. The feeling was nostalgic and it made me grin a little.

"I will, mom." I studied her as she washed dishes, remembering all the faded happy memories we as a family use to share.

Then I headed out the door to go train.

~

"clone jutsu!" I exclaimed as a cloud of smoke appeared next to me, and after it all subsided a perfect identical clone of my Sensei was shown.

I felt proud of myself and grinned widely. "Yes!" I beamed.

"Seems like you got this in the bag." I heard Shikamaru's deep flat voice compliment.

I turned to face him and a smile was still glued to my face. "I was no nervous this morning."

He winked as he stood in front of me. "Looks like you didn't have to be nervous at all."

He's right. I over stress sometimes and doubt myself. But, this is proof that I can do what I put my mind too!

"Thanks, Shikamaru!" I let out a giggle as I thanked him.

"I hope we can get put on the same squad together. We got close and now I'm worried we will be split apart." I sadly confessed.

"Well, I sure hope you'll still watch the clouds with me on days we both aren't busy." Shikamaru chimed in.

"That's a no brainer." I chuckled warmly.

Ino then swayed over to us with her hands placed on her hips as her long blonde ponytail moved side by side. Her eyebrow was cocked up and the veins in her forehead were prominent.

"You wanna know what Sasuke said to me!? To me Ino Yamanaka?!" She whined loudly.

I internally groaned. "What did he say?"

The veins in her forehead were about to burst from her anger. "He said I was annoying! Just like Sakura! I'm nothing like that big forehead flat chested bitch!" She badgered on and Shikamaru and I gave each other a bored side eye.

"I told you, Ino. He bickers with everyone." I reminded but that only irked her more.

"Hmph," She sassily crossed her arms and pouted like a child. "You act like you're high and mighty and that you don't care that Sasuke thinks you're annoying too!"

Why was she always bothered about Sasuke and I? She needs to grow up and respect other people's feelings.

"I don't think I'm high and mighty," I spoke softly. "I just don't waste my time on someone who treats me badly."

"What a drag. Girls are always talking about Sasuke this and Sasuke that." Shikamaru divulged as he shoved his hands in his pants pockets.

I was started to become irritated with this conversation. I don't have time to argue with a girl who's acting out of jealously. I tried to be calm and help her, but she's Ino.

"Hate to break whatever this is up, but we have an exam to tend to." I notified my friends before heading to the academy.

Shikamaru and I sat lazily down in our seats. Like everyday he rested his head on his crossed arms while I twiddled my thumbs as we waited for Iruka Sensei to start class.

"Okay, class. Like I explained today is your exam. You must be able to properly use the clone jutsu, no mistakes are acceptable. When I call your name, come down to the front of the classroom and present your clone." Sensei formally explained and I shifted nervously in my seat.

Iruka called names one by one and it felt agonizingly slow, since I was patiently awaited my turn to go.

"Sasuke Uchiha!"

My eyes diverted their focus on Sasuke as he walked down the steps to the front of the class. He didn't have an expression on his face as usual, however I could tell he was confident and cocky.

"clone jutsu." He blandly uttered as a clone of Iruka Sensei appeared.

"Pass!" Iruka happily exclaimed, handing Sasuke his regulation headband.

"Mai Masaki." Finally.

I walked anxiously down to the front of the class, passing Sasuke on the way. His smell of light sweat and mint filled my nose pleasantly.

I halted in front of Iruka Sensei and breathed heavily before forming the correct hand sign. "clone jutsu!" I beamed. I smiled proudly to myself; but not cockily.

"Pass." He smiled warmly at me before I headed back to my seat.

"Alright. Tomorrow we will assign your squads. Good job today, everyone." Iruka announced as he went to his desk to write down paperwork; probably who passed and who failed.

"Perfect time to watch the clouds, isn't it?" I questioned Shikamaru, using my elbow to nudge him softly.

"You read my mind."

~

"We're really becoming real leaf ninja now. I can hardly grasp that." I praised, taking all of this in.

"Yeah, it's gonna be a drag." Shikamaru retorted.

I fixed my eyes onto the white thick clouds ever so slightly moving in the dark blue sky. I chuckled at his lazy response.

"Yea, Shikamaru. It will be, but I believe we will all go on to do good things." I boasted, trying to think positively about my future. Maybe that's what I need to do, is think positively. Always getting sunk into depressions and numbness because of my family is really dragging my spirit down. I have to stay devoted on being a leaf ninja from now on.

"Just hearing you say that, I believe it too."

~

Vote ? Leave feedback ?