Chapter 47:fervent

Mai's pov

"Yes, it's true."

Naruto stood up and folded his arms, furrowing his eyebrows while glaring at Sasuke and I. Watching them like this made my lips twitch with a smile that desperately wanted to form.

"Mai! Don't you remember when not even two weeks ago you were dead set on trying to get Sasuke to return home? What happened to you? What did he do to you?" Sakura screamed, earning no reaction from me.

The words spouting out of their mouths are making my blood boil. Why are they acting like we're the bad guys here? All we are doing is getting revenge for somebody who we care about. Someone who the village treated like a tool and nothing more, a massive burden that weighed on Itachi's shoulders since he was thirteen years old.

"You should re-evaluate who the true enemy is." I spat out with venom laced in my tone.

Naruto stepped forward, "I know that we can't get Sasuke back. But, Mai, please hear me out." He pleaded. I wasn't interested in the slightest of what he wanted to say.

"Nothing will change my mind." I sincerely confessed.

Kakashi chimed in, "Mai, you have to know deep down that this is not you."

What is he talking about? I changed my views on Sasuke and the village simply because I truly understand the hidden truth now. I don't expect them to get that, but they don't get to fucking tell me who I am.

My teeth gritted together from my building rage, "Listen to me, Kakashi. If you knew what I did-."

"Mai, enough of the back and forth. You and Taka head out of here. I'll take care of this." Sasuke demanded.

I glared at him, "I'm not leaving you here alone. They're mission is to kill you. I'm not letting that happen."

Sasuke sighed and spun around. "Suigetsu, take the other two and get out of here. Mai and I will catch up!"

"You got it!" Suigetsu replied.

I smiled with relief due to Sasuke letting me stay and help him fight our old team. The past me would dread this, I would even feel a ping of guilt.

But, that's not how I feel anymore. If they truly want to kill Sasuke, then they're the real enemy here. And I will do anything in my power to keep Sasuke alive.

Everything he did to me doesn't matter anymore. Simply because I understand his intentions and reasons, and he has every right to act the way he does. But, I won't let him do this alone. Just like when we were younger, I'm with him, forever.

Our souls will always be knotted together with pain and trust. And I will stand by that until the day I die. Ino was wrong after all, I believe someday Sasuke and I will get our version of a happy ending.

"Mai, catch." Sasuke warned as he tossed me a shiny black sword... wait.. that's my sword, that I left at my house back at the village. He snook in and got it for me.

I sent him a warm smile as I swiftly caught my sword, spinning it around with my fingers before pointing it at my ex comrades.

"It doesn't have to be this way, Mai. Come to our side and help us defeat Sasuke." Kakashi offered, which made me instantly snap.

"Don't you dare try to change my mind about this! None of you understand the pain he has been through! If you did, you would be over here with us!" I screamed at the top of my lungs as I saw Sasuke glance at me from the corner of my eye.

My throat began to sting and hurt from the strain I put on it from yelling, but I couldn't care less about how I'm doing health wise right now. We have business to take care of.