Chapter 54:tension

Mai's pov.

One Month Later

The cool spring breeze blew over my body, creating a small shudder as teeth gnawed restlessly on my plump bottom lip.

Goosebumps rose on my creamy skin, golden honey eyes starring stoically as my now shoulder length cobalt blue hair swiftly danced with the wind.

Light footsteps crunching against the gravel echoed from behind me, however my gaze stayed glued on my arm, simply because I know who the person approaching me was.

"Suigetsu and Jugo will be off soon," Sasuke flatly informed even though he knows that I have already been told this.

Another footstep forward. "Aren't you going to say goodbye to them?"

My teeth grazed the raw chewed up skin on my bottom lip. I finally peeled my eyes off from my arm and vaguely glanced over my shoulder at Sasuke.

I quietly sighed and looked forward, ignoring Sasuke's question.

A loud groan emerged from him, probably out of annoyance from my stoic demeanor, and the fact that I completely disregarded his words.

"You've been acting strange lately. Is it because of Taka splitting up?" Sasuke pondered with a hint of impatience laced within his tone.

My heart dropped as my jaw clenched, a rise of short temperance wanting to claw out of me.

Because he was right.

After Taka finally put an end to Kabuto and his multiple followers, there was no longer a point in having a team anymore.

Sasuke got his revenge, as did I. And that was the sole purpose of why he scrounged up the most talented shinobi he knew in order to form a elite terrorist team to kill Itachi, Danzo, my father, Kai, and Kabuto.

Now that Maiko is gone forever this time, I've never felt more alone in my entire life. But, Taka surprisingly uplifts my bad moods and makes me feel like there could be a chance they could be my new family.

However, Suigetsu and Jugo decided to leave and have a fresh start since they are no longer needed to be in Taka.

When they announced it, I felt like all hope was torn from me. My heart dropped into my stomach causing me to almost throw up.

I had faked being happy for them, so they didn't feel guilty for leaving. And so they didn't feel obligated to stay with me. That would have been selfish on my part.

So, Sasuke is right. I've been acting strange lately. And it's because... perhaps I don't want to lose them. But the reality is, that I am going to lose them.

I jumped as I felt Sasuke's cold hand press gently on top of my right shoulder, but as my golden eyes locked with midnight; I relaxed into his touch.

His lips were pressed into a thin line, but his face and eyes were soft. Even though his hand is cold, my body heated up because of his contact with me.

"I'm sorry," I muttered. "For being distant with you and short tempered lately."

Sasuke nodded and plopped down beside me, crossing his legs as he leaned back, causing his loose baggy white shirt to spread open; showing his toned and muscular stomach.