Chapter 17:messiness

Mai's pov

The feeling of a warm breeze that hit my face woke me up, my golden honey eyes fluttering open slightly. The suns bright rays attacked my orbs, causing me to squint.

That's when realization hit me, and I noticed I was lying on the moist green grass that I found late last night. After finding that picture of Maiko and I.

Another ping of attainment washed over me, my scrambled morning brain remembering that Sasuke came out here last night. I cocked my head to see behind me; and there he was, lying down on the grass with his feet crossed and his arm resting over his eyes.

For whatever reason, a smile jerked my pink lips at the sight. When he was sleeping, he seemed so peaceful. I couldn't help but sink into nostalgia from when we were young, playing happily with our older siblings with no care in the world.

As another fresh summer breeze slapped my body, I too felt calm and collected. Sometimes, memories can be fulfilling. You just close your eyes and think about when life wasn't hard and depressing.

"You two slept out here?" Sakura questioned as she approached Sasuke and I.

Sasuke's head jerked up as he removed the arm from his face. Both hands pushed off the wet grass, sitting himself up.

"We didn't mean too." I defend, and it wasn't a whole lie. I didn't plan on staying the full night outside, but, my eyes just drifted off to sleep unknowingly.

Sakura's face became filled with blatant jealousy as her eyebrow twitched slightly. "Well, Kakashi Sensei asked me to find you guys, and he said to come inside for breakfast before we head to the mist." She sassily crossed her arms before storming back inside.

I rubbed my temple with my fingers and sighed deeply to myself. My eyes glanced at Sasuke who was just as bothered as me.

"Come on, let's go inside." He rasped, standing up. I followed his movements and nodded in agreement.

~

"What do you do for fun?" Kai asked me as he stuffed his mouth with red berries.

"I basically just train if I'm not out on missions. I started practicing with a sword, and I think I'm getting pretty good at it." I explained. Kai handed me two berries and I gladly took them from his hands.

"That's actually cool, are you teaching yourself?" Kai queried, wiping his berry juice stained hands on his black pants.

I shoved a berry in my mouth and nodded, "Yeah, I had no clue what I was doing. I did some research and started training with it everyday."

Kai smiled. "So, you're talented?"

"I wouldn't say that, I just try my best." I giggled.

Kai stayed silent for a moment before speaking again, "You should visit my village sometime. I could show you around and what there is to do."

"If there is ever a time I'm not swamped with missions, I'd be happy to visit."

We all stopped walking as we approached the hidden mist village's front entrance. I was a little upset that we already made it here, I was enjoying getting to know Kai.

"Thank you all for getting me home safely," Kai kindly grinned as he came up to me. "Don't forget to visit." His arms laced around me giving me a slight squeeze. I hugged him back, and my eyes glanced at Sasuke who has his arms crossed with a smug expression plastered on his face. What's he mad about now?

Kai released me, waving bye to my team before he made his way back into his village.

"Alright guys, it's time to head on back to the leaf village." Kakashi Sensei informed, grabbing his perverted book from his bag.